Symbols

BT30

Question

I've upgraded to VW2023. I used to be able to resave symbols with the same name so they would all update across the file.  The new version will not allow me to make a new symbol with the same name.  Meaning if I have multiple copies of a symbol I have to find and replace them, one by one. Any ideas how I can change this? Thanks 

10 answers to this question

Thanks Michael.  I've previously been able to save a symbol through the Modify menu, Create Symbol and call is say "Plan_ground" and use this as a reference through the file. If I resaved the an updated version of this I could still call it "Plan_ground" I would then be asked if I wanted to replace the existing.  If I attempt this now I'm told this already exists please choose a unique name.

I'm trying to figure out what your workflow was.  Were you referencing symbols from another file?  Or importing/copying & pasting from another file?

I've never been able to Modify>Create Symbol… and save that symbol as a name that already exists.

You can duplicate symbols from inside the Resource Manager, but even then you need to give the duplicate a unique name.

So my workflow:  1. create a drawing which would be a base floor plan. 2. Select and duplicate all objects making up plan. 3. go to Modify menu select Create Symbol. 4. give symbol a name eg Plan_XX.  5. Use this symbol in other design layers etc as a reference. 6. make edits to the elements making up the base floor plan. 7.Select and duplicate all objects making up plan. 8. go to Modify menu select Create Symbol. 9 VW asks if I would like to replace existing symbol - yes. 10 use updated reference plan in other design layers.

Screen shots attached using VW2020

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 6.41.19 pm.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 6.41.36 pm.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 6.41.43 pm.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 6.42.51 pm.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 6.43.04 pm.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 6.43.20 pm.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 6.43.25 pm.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 6.43.34 pm.png

I just checked the new features list for 2023 and it doesn't list this change.  

My only thought is that it might be related to the Data Manager.   If a symbol is involved in a data mapping scheme, would overwriting the symbol with geometry that could have different mapping cause problems?  Not sure.  What happens to record formats that were attached to the old symbol definition?

Good catch.  

• Like 2

I noticed the new behaviour a few months ago. I am a long term user and so am used to never being able to overwrite a symbol name so rarely encountered any name conflict. 

however a few months ago I made the mistake of accidentally creating a symbol name conflict and I got the “do you want to replace the existing symbol” alert that you described in the first post. I was surprised and pleased that I had not noticed the upgraded behaviour. 

Yesterday I noticed the reversion of the behaviour back to the old way of working. I wondered what had changed but thought little of it at the time……

I will do some digging when I have a moment…

Edited by markdd
  • Like 4