VW2023 is slicing my models in front of my eyes (shaded view)

line-weight

Question

See video. Sometimes I want to get right in close to something. In my example, I want to snap to the midpoint of an edge 1mm in length.

First I do it in VW2021.

Then I switch to VW2023 SP3 and try the same thing - but as soon as I get close to the geometry it starts getting sliced away in front of me. Carrying out the same operation is impossible.

Because I skipped VW2022 I don't know if this was introduced in VW2023 or in VW2022. But this is making it very difficult for me to do detailed editing or drawing in perspective shaded mode which is what I use 90% of the time.

Is there some setting I can change or is this a bug?

cube23.vwx

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 12:00 AM, Jeremy Best said:

EDIT: This behaviour directly correlates to the scale of the Design Layer. In Vectorworks 2021 SP5, with a Layer Scale of 1:1 'object peeling' doesn't occur until you are essentially 'inside' the object concerned but object peeling occurs when much, much further away from the object when the Layer Scale is 1:200. The behaviour is 'normal,' however the threshold for it to occur is lower in Vectorworks 2023. 

By the way, I don't think this is correct as far as VW2023 is concerned.

At least according to my testing, there doesn't seem to be any significant difference whether I have the design layer "scale" set to 1:1 or 1:10,000. In either case it starts happening when I'm about the same distance from the object.

28 minutes ago, Dave Donley said:

Hello @line-weight Thank you for the test file, this is indeed fixed for 2023 Service Pack 4.  The regression came from a fix for the several large models reported over the Summer where selection highlighting, general geometry, draw edges, and shadows rendered poorly.  The change to fix that hurt models when zoomed in a lot like the cube23 example.  The fix for 2023 SP4 fixes cube23 example without the original bugs with the larger models coming back (I tested with your Chalford model for example, which had shown poor draw edges in the past and it looks good in SP4).

There is only one value used for the near and far planes for the current view.  It is theoretically possible to have a scene where say you are very close to some geometry on a lamppost with an entire city in the background.  In that case either close-up or far-away will show some compromises, with draw edges, or other artifacts related to choosing the "wrong" values for near and far planes.  We think the current solution is good for human-scale scenes like these examples.

Thanks for the response. I'll look forward to SP4 (when is it due to come out?)