CREATE SIMILAR OBJECT ... occasionally... sort of

DSmith2300

Question

I've been having trouble with the 'Create Similar Object' tool.

In a file originally created in 2021, it changes the attributes palette to appear to be the right line type, but then only puts down a similar colour and weight. The actual linetype is different.

In a file created in 2022, it will lay down the same line type, but not the same local scale as the original copied. 

In either instance I still have to go back and use a normal eyedropper tool to transfer the desired properties to the new line.

Are there any settings to the tool that I have missed?

thanks

3 answers to this question

I've also noticed that local attribute mapping doesn't ever get picked up with Create Similar Object. I assume is because you can't 'set' the attributes palette to have local mapping in the first place, because there isn't a local object. So to me it makes sense the way it currently works. And as you said, the eyedropper will get you by.

That being said, if the color and weight are only 'similar' (but not the same as the source object) then that sounds like a different issue. Could you post screenshots or a file to demonstrate this?

Also... If you want to create multiple new objects with a particular adjusted mapping/scale, I'd consider making a new resource that reflects said mapping, if possible. For example, for complex linetypes, just duplicate the original linetype resource, then edit it and scale the contents as needed. Now you always have it as an available linetype without having to deal with local mapping.

Or if the resource happens to be a Hatch, there's a handy right-click command called "New Hatch from Locally Mapped Hatch" which will create a new hatch that matches the mapping of the object you clicked on. This allows you to easily make more objects with that hatch without having to resort to the eyedropper tool. (I don't think other attribute types have this contextual command though.)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

there's a handy right-click command called "New Hatch from Locally Mapped Hatch"

…and isn’t it really great when you realise there’s a boffin hidden away in VW basement that implemented this quite simple but so obvious additional step.  I use it often - even if only to keep a variation of a hatch as I ‘might need that later’.