Nudge Imported PDF

KenAB94662

Question

Long time Vectorworks user here. Previous to this week, I've been happily using v.2020 for many years on a perpetual license.

So finally I decided to try v.2022. And the biggest issue — problem really — is that the nudging of an imported PDF background object is not smooth. That's saying the least. Just now, each nudge keystroke is causing the entire screen to flash. When it's working somewhat okay, it's still very laggy. Everything else on my end is identical to before — same macOS, same computer, same input devices, same everything.

What's wrong? What am I missing?

7 answers to this question

4 hours ago, michaelk said:

Which OS?

Same PDF?

I'm on macOS 11.6.8 — updated my posting signature.

I always import the same PDF source every project, every file, every week. So I just did a two-way test. I imported the same exact PDF in my older v'20, and it nudged as smooth as expected. Then in v'22, I opened an old but recent job that was completed in v'20 — the PDF nudge is flashing my entire screen on each and every tap just the same. It's horrible.

But here's more. I opened a blank document in v'22 and imported the PDF. Nudging feels VERY SLOW but not entire screen flashing on each tap. Holding the shift and arrow key with PDF selected, I would estimate each "step" to take between 1200 and 2000 milliseconds — longer than a second and occasionally feels like two seconds.

Compare to blank document in v'20, same imported PDF selected, hold shift and arrow key, nudging I would estimate 200 to 300 milliseconds each step. The stepping movement is hardly noticeable.

Here's even more reporting. I'm not a regular visitor here in these discussions, so maybe this is well known and reported many times.

Open blank document in v'22. Draw any object. Grab edge of the object and do Boomerang Mode Pan Tool. Hold space bar and drag screen left and right real quick. The edge of object is for reference. Look at the hand cursor. There's a noticeable lag! The edge of object falls off the hand quite a bit! The quicker you drag screen, the farther it falls off!

Now do the same in v'20 to compare. You can hardly get the object off the hand cursor, it's so quick. There's hardly any visual lag in v'20.

Feels like v'22 bloatware. Or has it been bloatware since v'21, and I fortunately skipped all the aggravation?

I'm also using OS 11.6.

For me 2021 was noticeably faster than 2020.

2022 is a little faster than 2021.  (Unless also running Zoom and VW at the same time…)

I have had a couple PDFs in the last few weeks from a particular source that have caused problems.  I don't know if that corresponds to the latest service pack or if the source of these pdfs is just making obnoxious pdfs.

Ungrouping the PDF and deleting everything but the bitmap fixed it.  But that also makes the geometry no longer snapable.

It might be worth your while to contact support and let them try that pdf on different machines and versions of VW.

16 hours ago, michaelk said:

I'm also using OS 11.6.

For me 2021 was noticeably faster than 2020.

2022 is a little faster than 2021.  (Unless also running Zoom and VW at the same time…)

I have had a couple PDFs ...

First, yes my trial version of v'22 is latest service pack. Splash screen says SP5 (Build 664120) (64-Bit).

Should I start a new discussion topic on only the lag I notice when merely opening a new blank document, drawing simple rectangle, then drag screen quickly left-right with Pan Tool? — as described above. And so, the lag is not just with imported PDF. It's just raw simple Vectorworks version 2022 launching by itself after restarting my Mac, and there's huge noticeable lag. For this reason alone, I'm thinking of not upgrading. What else am I missing?