Referenced DLVP question

Tom W.

Question

Is this a known thing:

I reference-in one file into another file as a DLVP + if the source file has been saved in a 3D view I get this:

1122656456_Screenshot2022-08-14at08_25_25.thumb.png.2b622128572b2fac6b6e831a7bd64189.png

i.e. only the 3D representation of the model is imported + the Top/Plan representation is missing in the DLVP.

But if the source file is saved in a Top/Plan view I get this:

1133412153_Screenshot2022-08-14at08_27_10.thumb.png.f5b3e83fb37ee784761e0b20b9e7122a.png

This time the DLVP displays correctly in both 3D + 2D in the target file.

There is no way to toggle the 'N'/'Y' setting after the fact. You have to delete the DLVP/reference, open the source file, change to Top/Plan view, save it, go back to the target file + recreate the DLVP.

I have several DLVPs in my target file + I realised one wasn't displaying correctly in Top/Plan + spent ages trying to figure out what was going on... I had no idea the view the source file is saved in had a bearing on how the geometry is represented in the DLVP... But this is something to be aware of right? Has it just been chance that every other DLVP I've ever referenced into a file has been saved in Top/Plan view + therefore I've never had this before? Or is something weird going on?

Thanks

9 answers to this question

Yes you're right I should have mentioned that: the 'Display planar objects' check box in the OIP for the DLVP. But whether this is enabled or disabled makes no difference... I assumed this was to do with the representation of 2D objects in 3D views, not whether Top/Plan displays or not...

Hey Tom. I finally got around to looking at this. This may be a bug in your version of VW as on 2021 I can't recreate this issue. In the organization dialogue I can edit the viewport to turn on/off "show screen objects" and the viewport will change to 2d or 3d. (this is with the source file saved in a 3d view).

Edited by Boh
  • Like 1

Thanks @Boh for looking into it! I was wondering whether it might be a VW2022 thing... But I just tried again now (in VW2022) + the same thing is no longer happening so perhaps it was just a peculiarity of the particular file I was working on... It does feel like with VW2022 - perhaps connected to the changes to screen plane? - that weird stuff of this nature happens more often, where the 2D/3D interface of hybrid objects goes a bit AWOL...

9 hours ago, Boh said:

turn on/off "show screen objects"

In VW2022 it's called 'Display planar objects':

233272088_Screenshot2022-08-19at07_30_07.png.57ec952abafcbde687d7317a7f5cb6f1.png

Perhaps things changed between VW2021 + VW2022 (I should check...)

Plus when you create the DLVP there is a 'Display 2D components' check box but this is enabled by default + can't be edited after the fact:

530605248_Screenshot2022-08-19at07_29_52.png.1df16a110ba4b3af8a90521267e02946.png

So to me, 'Display planar objects' refers to 2D geometry in 3D space + whether you want to see it or not + 'Display 2D components' refers to the Top/Plan geometry of hybrid objects + this should display regardless. 

Weirdly, in my test just now, I get this:

2082920521_Screenshot2022-08-19at07_23_24.thumb.png.5db5a11515a5d0b0dccb1d191723079d.png

715837349_Screenshot2022-08-19at07_24_11.thumb.png.046374e9b9108fd64ea42ed544d71cfd.png

Plus in 3D that particular roof won't display at all despite all layers/classes being visible!!

587692735_Screenshot2022-08-19at07_24_54.thumb.png.d5294f44fa1e9c3209efee98cf45ac38.png

This is just a test so I'm not going to worry about it too much as everything is displaying correctly in the project file thankfully but it does illustrate my deeply held feeling that referenced DLVPs are a wee bit temperamental + not to be wholly relied upon... But having said that no one else seems to post about similar things happening to them...

Thanks again for checking

2 hours ago, Tom W. said:

my deeply held feeling that referenced DLVPs are a wee bit temperamental + not to be wholly relied upon... But having said that no one else seems to post about similar things happening to them...

I tend to avoid them for exactly this reason (even when not referenced from another file) - some bad experiences in the past which may or may not still be relevant.

Edited by line-weight
Just now, line-weight said:

I tend to avoid them for exactly this reason (even when not referenced from another file) - some bad experiences in the past which may or may not still be relevant.

What exactly did you experience? As I say I've not seen much discussion of it but I've certainly had several issues. Particularly in relation to roof/wall clipping settings being lost in the transition to ref-DLVP but at least this was (eventually) confirmed as a bug + will hopefully be remedied at some point...

I realised that you don't actually save very much in terms of file size going down the ref-DLVP route but in my current project it suits me to have certain objects as DLVPs to keep them separate from the main geometry in the file. I just need them there in the background + either be 'on' or 'off' so if glitches can be kept at bay is actually a very useful method in this case. Otherwise I think going forward I'm just going to look to keep all the geometry in the same file...

2 hours ago, Tom W. said:

What exactly did you experience? As I say I've not seen much discussion of it but I've certainly had several issues.

I think I was trying to create sectioned 3d views as DLVPs and then view those in rendered SLVP's or something like that. It was a workaround that I think is no longer necessary because you can now use the clip cube (?). But I can't recall in detail exactly what was going wrong. It's probably buried in a thread on here somewhere! It might not be fair of me to be nervous about them because of that previous experience as I might have been using them a bit off-label.

I can't comment on vw2022 behavior as I'm not using that but from what I've gleaned on the forum there are some changes with regard to screen objects? Perhaps this is part of the DLVP issue you are experiencing.

I tend to limit the use of dlvps to 3 scenarios:

1. Referencing external files from other consultants - this can be 2d or 3d information. Often the referenced files are large and generally don't change much or often.
  2. Replicating floors on multistorey buildings
  3. New builds where the siting of the new build is still being finalised. I can use a dlvp of the building and easily move it around on my site. Once it is finalised however i tend to move the site or house geometry to the correct location so that the dlvp is no longer required.

I have had a pretty good experience with all these workflows. I did find a hiccup with sheet layer section views through dlvps. The class control didn't work properly for objects cut by the section line s I had to develop a workaround for that. I'd be interested to know if that is still an issue in vw2022. See this post:

• Like 1