Site - Exclude area within grade limits

I'm doing a very rough cut and fill calculation and can't seem to remember how to exclude an area within my outer grade limits from being affected by my grades. Specifically I have a school yard where I've done a rough grading with grades and want to calculate the cut/fill excluding the footprint of the new school buildings. I tried 2 things:

• A new grade limit within the outer limit. Doesn't work, no surprise.
  • Traced the building footprint and sent the lines to the existing site surface. Placed those lines in Site-DTM-Modifer class. This stops the grades from affecting the footprint but the area within the polygon does triangulate within that footprint so it's still affecting the results.

Existing site with outer limits in white and building footprints in blue:

image.thumb.png.6605b096ed991bcc73fe5a164a775eed.png

Proposed grade:

75065453_Skrmavbild2022-07-06kl_14_03_05.thumb.png.50289464440f43ad2883b62cb8b8edb7.png

The grid of 3d loci seems a good solution although thats a lot of point data. Would a few stakes or grade objects assigned to the Existing also work?

I think the Site-DTM-Modifier class (needs a more convenient name, so SDM class?, or Magic class?) only affects the Proposed state which might conflict with or confuse future Proposed site modifiers.  

Another idea is to add new  “existing” conditions to the DTM source data. Would it work to add the soil contact building outlines (the 3d traces sent to surface) as new data via the Rebuild From Source Data function? These would be interpreted as contours with varying elevation.  One would need to clip out any contours or other data inside the footprints.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

A bit late to help, I fear, but I have excluded interior areas from a site model by drawing a very narrow (1' or less, so it isn't visible to the naked eye) from the edge of the site model to somewhere in the area to be excluded and combined those surfaces.  The active site model boundary goes right around the area and calculates just fine.

• Like 1