Corrupted Files!

TBrown

Has anyone else experienced the following???:

I have created several drawings using VWA12 on Mac G5 Dual 2.5 GHz running OS 10.4.3 and have had this particular problem with 3 separate yet totally unrelated files.

At some point after creating the drawing and working on it several different times, I have gone to open these files and get the message that the file has been created with an older version of VW and am prompted to save it as VWA12 with the .mcd extension. This is all fine and normal if the file was indeed something other than a VWA12, but it is not. It IS already a VWA 12 file. After selecting OK in the dialogue I am then presented with a rather ominous message that the file is unrecognizable or that it has been created by an older version of the CAD software and therefore cannot be opened.

If I go back and check the particulars on the file, the size is shown as zero Kb and we all know what that means. The file is now useless and unless I have a back up of it saved, it is lost.

Has anyone had a similar experience?, and if so, Is there anything that can be done about it?.

Trevor,

Are you saving to a network drive? I found that in our setup, a first gen xserve running two different flavors of OS X Server would start corrupting files?but not backups?if I had less than 10% free space on the drive I was saving to.

I quadrupled our storage, and haven't had a serious outbreak of file corruption.

HTH

ion

have also seen this message. As I recall, this happened with a particular file that, when was last saved, vector works had unexpectedly quit. Not much I could have done when VW quits while saving. Hope, there's an update very soon to make VW more stable. Fortunately I had a back up from the previous day.

"If I go back and check the particulars on the file, the size is shown as zero Kb and we all know what that means. The file is now useless and unless I have a back up of it saved, it is lost."

A reminder:

Make sure that you are in fact accessing the file and not an alias or a symbolic link to the file.

Use Spotlight to verify that no other files of the same name were inadvertently saved to a different directory path.

Then , run Disk Utility.app

• 2 weeks later...

The same just happened to me. (Vectorworks Standard on Imac G5) Unfortunately, my last backup was weeks ago. The file info does say Zero Kb, and it doesn't exist anywhere else, so its not a corrupted alias. Any other possibilities to retrieve? I know it must exist somewhere in the computer. All other files fine, but of course this corrupted file is the one with the deadline.