saved workspaces don't stay saved

Hello all,

How do I set the saved "Workspaces" to stay saved?  I have a 2 external monitor setup in my office, and, I've tried multiple times to save the workspace, i.e. "3-screen workspace", with the layout that I prefer.  But, whenever I open Vectorworks when i'm not in my office, when I do return to my office, I totally lose that saved "3-screen workspace."  

Why bother saving it when it won't stay saved?  What, if anything, am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

Regards,

MJ

Edited by mjunderdog1

You don't.  

Save Palette Positions does save the positions, but when you quit VW the positions are saved again. It is basically only good for maintaining the positions if you crash before you quit VW. The Palette Positions are not part of the workspace. They are saved separately in the preferences file. There is no good way to automatically move the palettes and windows around to maintain your settings.

Three things to consider:

1. If you can remember to switch to the 1 monitor workspace every time before you leave the office, when you come back and switch to the 3 window workspace it should remember what you had.

2. Since you are not going to be able to actually accomplish option 1 every time, put an shortcut to your workspace folder (inside you user folder, inside your Mac Library folder:Application Support:.......) someplace you can get to it easily.  Duplicate your workspace file(s) so you have a backup.  When you mess up, delete your workspace and replace it from the backup.

3. Go to the WishList forum and file a request for palette positions to be saved as part of the Workspace.

HTH

• Love 1
  • 2 years later...