Ground Plane Images

Mike Binder

I am having a devil of a time doing something that SHOULD (it seems to me) be easy.

I have some JPEG site maps that I want to trace over to get the surrounding buildings and put my new building in context.

I have tried background images, putting a texture on a really big extruded rectangle, creating an image prop. Nothing seems to work. Either the JPEG image is invisible or I get tiling problems, etc.

Remembering that I want this to help me construct geometry at scale, and NOT necessarily as a rendering tool later (that will be another day), does anyone know of a good way to do this or a way to escape the pitfalls that seem to have me stumped?

Thanks.

Mike

OK, thanks.

I got it to import the image and even to apply it to an object. It only seems to work if I am working on the layer with the image. Working on any other design layer, the image is replaced with a bounding box.

This will get me what I need for the time being, though I wish VW had a feature similar to SketchUp for doing work like this.

Thanks again.

Mike

>and NOT necessarily as a rendering tool later (that will be another day)<

A fast way to get both is to import the image as an image prop, disable auto-rotate and rotate the prop to fit the ground plane, then import the image again as a simple 2D image, scale and fit it to the prop, select both and convert them into a symbol.

Now you have an image-ground-plane in 2D as well as in 3D.