VP Annotation Data Tags - snapping to invisible objects and objects behind other objects

Juliensv

Question

Hello,

I have been having difficulty using data tags in the Sheet Layer Viewport annotations. Its seems that no matter what I do, the data tag tool will try to snap and associate to objects that are in invisible classes, or it will preferentially snap to objects which are behind objects in the foreground. All the objects are symbols. I'm wondering whether anyone knows the reason for this behavior, and/or any solutions to it? Attached are images with examples of both behaviours.

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 4.36.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 6.06.47 PM.png

10 answers to this question

Hi Nikolay!

I am using VW 2022 on macOS Big Sur. Here is a test file. As you can see, the data tag is highlighting objects which are in the invisible "loft" class. Another unwanted behaviour on my end, is that the tool is able to highlight objects behind other objects, such as framing of the floor in this example. This behaviour is not matched when using data tags in design layers.

Thank you for any insight you may have!

1907604875_ScreenShot2022-01-31at9_01_20AM.thumb.png.c441e12c03fffd3b45e7a323bc73d527.png

Data Tag Test.vwx

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @Juliensv,

Thanks for the additional information and the test file. Now I see the problem on my side too. It seems like a bug that we will work on fixing.

I have noticed that this is not the case if you use the "All eligible objects mode" of the data tag tool, so for now if it gets the job done for you, you can use it instead.

As for the highlighting of objects that are behind other visible objects, this is an issue that we know about and we are looking for a fix for but it is not a trivial case and the fix will not be trivial as well.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 1
On 6/17/2022 at 2:56 PM, Zsombor said:

I have something similar: when I want to datatag something in a viewport I get huge red boxes (bounding boxes) and I can't catch the object I want, it tags some other object far away. It behaves like this in top view and section views too.image.thumb.png.927f51145de39d8c275bb97a31308a3b.png

- Can you attach a sample file showing the issue?

On 6/20/2022 at 3:11 PM, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

- Can you attach a sample file showing the issue?

HI, sorry for late answer I was on holiday. I attach the file I'm working on at the moment. You can experience this in each viewports, like on sheet Z-1-2-1, or Z-2-3 (sections). In section viewports it even wants tag hidden objects, so lots of times I cant grab the ones I really want.   I mostly use landscape areas for surfaces.

esztergom strand kiviteli2022_2 másolata.vwx

Hello @Zsombor,

Thanks for the test file and sorry for the delay. The file that you sent has quite a lot of things in it and it is not really easy to figure out what is going on.

In the section viewport the big red highlighting rectangles are all for objects that are visible in the viewport I think, as both their class and layer are set to visible. What could help you would be to assign the objects that you want to tag to a specific class and show only it in the viewport so that nothing else gets in the way when you are tagging. You can also try to adjust the Extents Beyond Cut Plane to lower the number of visible objects in the viewport.

Let me know if the suggestions from above help.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

On 1/30/2022 at 6:21 PM, Juliensv said:

Hello,

I have been having difficulty using data tags in the Sheet Layer Viewport annotations. Its seems that no matter what I do, the data tag tool will try to snap and associate to objects that are in invisible classes, or it will preferentially snap to objects which are behind objects in the foreground. All the objects are symbols. I'm wondering whether anyone knows the reason for this behavior, and/or any solutions to it? Attached are images with examples of both behaviours.

Thank you!

This issue with data tags still persists in VW 2023.  Has anyone figured out how to keep data tags from selecting invisible objects?

• Like 2

Hi All,

Wanted to piggyback on this thread as it seemed related. Is anyone else running into significant performance issues when trying to use data tags in section viewport annotation space? Mearly clicking the data tag tool causes a hang-up of a min +, and every view pan / click hangs up again.

Im on VW 2021 / Mac OS 12.6.1

Are there any solutions to this? The dificultly with this in my opinion makes all tagging in section viewports not worth the time....