Look for devices from database

Z Pete

Hi, so I understand that I can use the internal Database in the Device Builder to create preconfigured devices. If I want to edit that list I have to change the textfile ConnectCAD Devices DB.txt.

Now in my company we have a little bit of a standard for how we layout our sockets on the device. E.g. LAN Ports come first and the bottom row is always power.  Some ports may be grouped together for better visibility.

Can I store this information in the database too or will it always spit out socket after socket as written in the database??

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I would not recommend editing that text file. It is very easy to get wrong and have the Device Builder stop working. So if you absolutely have to do this then at least make sure you keep the original in a safe place first.

It is so much easier to modify the device symbols created by the Device Builder to have sockets ordered and grouped EXACTLY as you want them. And then just drag them on from the Resource Manager. As you build up symbols for the devices you use frequently you can put them in a shared document, set that as a favorite in the Resource Manager and have it always accessible. That way your drawings can always have that great "Z Pete" look!

Happy New Year!

Conrad

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hello @Conrad Preen,

On 1/3/2022 at 9:02 AM, Conrad Preen said:

I would not recommend editing that text file.

sounds good. Because I was about to edit the file and realized that it is not formatted for "comfortable editing" (e.g. edit in Excel like the tabbed CustomParams.txt 😉 )

But the question remains:
1.) How can I add symbols in the ressource manager to the DeviceBuilder list?

As I understand, a device has to be in the device builder list in order to be recognized for "Creating devices from a worksheet", right? (at least that is what happened, when I tried it.)

2.) But then again, if the devices are created by the device builder, they can't have a custom look (e.g. a 4 row header before the first connectors as seen below)
So, how can I add custom symbols from the ressource manager with the worksheet function?

Thanks for your help.

Best,

George

grafik.png.b8ab9313a02560f8904c7553e49ce89f.png

Hello @elc,

2 hours ago, elc said:

1.) How can I add symbols in the ressource manager to the DeviceBuilder list?

As I understand, a device has to be in the device builder list in order to be recognized for "Creating devices from a worksheet", right? (at least that is what happened, when I tried it.)

- You can create new devices from the device builder itself. Just select the desired make/model (or create new ones), enter socket and physical data and press OK and the device will be now saved in your user folder device database.

2 hours ago, elc said:

2.) But then again, if the devices are created by the device builder, they can't have a custom look (e.g. a 4 row header before the first connectors as seen below)
So, how can I add custom symbols from the ressource manager with the worksheet function?

- You can customize the look of newly created devices by editing the Basic Device symbol and modifying the device in it. However, you cannot use custom symbols to create new devices with Create Devices From Worksheet.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Thanks @Nikolay Zhelyazkov,

36 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

- You can create new devices from the device builder itself. Just select the desired make/model (or create new ones), enter socket and physical data and press OK and the device will be now saved in your user folder device database.

1.) yes, I have used the device builder, but some devices where created with "copy, paste, adjust" 😉 because it was faster.
Hence my question, if I can add those to my DeviceBuilder DB withouth hacking away in a text file again?

40 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

However, you cannot use custom symbols to create new devices with Create Devices From Worksheet.

2.) That's a bummer, but I suspected as much.
But at least they would be in the drawing and I can use the ConnectCADs special Device picker tool. I'll just give that a shot.

Thanks

5 minutes ago, elc said:

1.) yes, I have used the device builder, but some devices where created with "copy, paste, adjust" 😉 because it was faster.
Hence my question, if I can add those to my DeviceBuilder DB withouth hacking away in a text file again?

- Currently the only way to change a device definition in the database is to open the device builder, select the desired device and make your changes then and close the dialog with OK to save them.

• Like 1