VW11 - How to create Exterior Elevations

Kevin

I would like to hear from the users out there, and Robert Anderson, on how to create exterior elevations in VW11.

Using Viewports is fine, except that there are still the same old problems of missing lines and extra lines.

In the pre-Viewport days, I would use the Convert Copy to Lines command using Hidden Line Rendering. Then I would Ungroup the image and delete or add lines as needed.

But now with Viewports, what do I do? There are still missing and extra lines.

We have all seen those ads in the magazines for other software programs. They show a beautiful exterior elevation of a house. It has shingles on the roof, siding and shingles on the walls, and some stone or brick here and there. How the heck do I do that with Vectorworks?

I upgraded to VW11 for Viewports. Now I am wondering if I am missing something. I just don't see how to use Viewports and get nice finished elevations as I have described.

Any suggestions?

VWA11.0.1 + Renderworks, OS10.3.6

Kevin,

We make extensive use of the annotations "layer" of the Viewport.

We've been using hidden-line rendering elevations (mostly). Then adding rectangles (into which we place hatches, color, etc.) and the occasional line directly in the Viewport. This seems to go fairly fast and actually gives us some extra control of the finished "look" that might be hard to achieve if everything had to be incorporated in the underlying 3D model. Particularly, we adjust line weights to look good in the elevation that we might prefer to be more uniform in the isometric renderings.

I haven't, personally, experienced "extra lines", but I suppose one could draw a "white" line over the extra one(s).

In addition, if you want some of the colored textures to show thru, use one of the Renderworks options. You can still place 2D poly-shapes "over" the rendering in the Viewport and have the best of both worlds (RW & hatches): something very difficult to achieve pre-Viewports.

This means, of course, that elevations have to be re-refined each time the model changes, so push this step off towards the end if possible.

Good luck.

I just create a viewport of my 3D linked layer view completely rendered in a texture. Different walls have different light so you can see each wall segment clearly. I then use mostly white dimensions and text over the textured viewport. Using black looks ok on the screen but the white copies better. I wish I could print with one of the old Apple color to b/w dither routines the way the old laserwriters would print color. I'm still searching for a copy place that can get nice levels of gray scale.

Larry

i usually use the model as a tool to create final elevations, and as a way to study massing, roof connections, and overall form. the model is also a good way to give client's an idea of what the product will look like in general terms (animations are a real crowd pleaser). w/vw 11, we are exploring more 'artisitic' ways to show the model- almost to enhance the design's appearance.

since vw is not any other program, we can't complain too much about what it can or can't do (its not microstation). since the ease of use, quality of 2d drawings, and finally cost are other factors we deal with, the fact that it can't do superfine/accurate hot linked elevations or sections is not a major sticking pint for us.

so, in the past i have created elevations in 2 ways. first is using the model (create copy w/lines), to trace over while producing construction document elevations. w/hidden line rendering we cut the group and paste it on the elevation layer, and starting working. this is only after a design has been signed off on. since these are working drawings, there will always be changes, and updating elevations is a fairly straightforward traditional affair. we rarely go back to the model at this point, unless there is a major form change. so it sits on our cover sheet as a graphic highlight only. its fairly quick and we can easily control details like trims, strorm water collection, siding, light fixtures, etc.

the second way is using digital photographs straighted in photoshop and imported into vw. this is especially useful with existing structures, and it is a very successful graphic way of indicting how the new will appear agianst the existing. plus gc's and clients can quickly see what is going on.

just thought i'd add to the discussion...

Seems this thread was edited, regarding elevation drawing difficulties.

Here's the question: Is it a difficult programing task to eliminate the hidden lines in the Convert Copy to Lines/Hidden Line command?

If not, and were it possible to thus eliminate the hidden lines (fron the file), then this would be a better way to start an elevation than is now available.

To produce a portable elevation line drawing, no bitmap, with the ability to reposition the product on an ordinary, non-viewport layer, you have to use the Convert Copy to Lines/Hidden Line command. And, this command produces a gazillion hidden lines, many unwanted lines, and a very fat file.

The Viewport thing is, maybe, in it's infancy and will imporve over time, but the simple rectangular, strainght-walled, one-story building I'm working on crashes VWA when the Update button is pushed to produce a Hidden Line Rendering. So, it really doesn't work.