model setup

Sirs: I will be attending your training week in NYC, Oct. 18-21. In the meantime, I'm trying to become as familiar with this program as I can.

Question: If I choose not to use the "model setup" routine, and instead just create layers as I need them, how can I create viewports? or Standard viewports? Is it posssible to create viewports without using mod set-up?

Why? I'm just catching on to a few features, but it seems to me that model setup, although nice, makes for "extra work." i.e., why go through mod setup when it seems I can create layers directly, and put objects like chimneys, or multi-storey hieght walls directly on a single layer. Also, I get confused with, believe it or not, the task manager. Layer and class visibility seem hard to manage...believe me this is not a criticism, I am just too inexperienced with the software.

I look forward to the classes in NYC next week. I am bringing along many questions...thanks for responding

When I teach people how to use VW I perfer to show how to create a model using the layers and classes that will suit that project (which may vary from project to project depening on your practice). Then I believe that if you learn how to make your own drawings you can make any drawing that you want.

The Model set-up and the create standard viewports never makes the drawings that I want because the drawings evolve as the project develops.

Even if you use the Model set-up I recommend that you check the layer z and delta Z on the layer set-up dialog box.

To me it's just better to learn how to make your own drawings rather than rely on standard drawings or standard viewports.

Robert - yes it does make the initial setup easy

Unfortunately what model setup will not allow you to do is make subsequent changes to the heights of individual storeys of the building (ie its layers) apart from when you add or delete a storey

Any adjustments to storey heights has to be done manually through the layer dialog box.

This is messy and definately not how it should be - I hope you are working to correct this for version 11.5.