Searching for best way to make a window schedule

ekb

I am looking for suggestions on efficient way to generate a window schedule:

I made several window symbols which I would like to summarize in a window schedule with detailed info. I am a bit confused by the wealth options: the data can be entered in the ID labels. It can be entered in the drawing level Data tab, and also inside the Edit Symbol OIF Data tab. Sometimes this seems to create duplicate windows. Sometimes I do not know which info supercedes which one. Do they contracdict each other? Because they do not automatically keep consistent. Some info is automatically brought in from the PIO library.

Then there is "Attach Record" which will create a custom record, but where should I fill this in - in each instance or in edit symbol or in ID label?

What is my best bet in generating easy consistent window schedule?

Just got lost in it.

Thank you.

VW 10.5 on Windows

ekb,

Here at our office we keep ridiculously complex schedules that rapidly change and I can tell you of some of our experiences.

The only way to go in my opinion it to attach records to your window symbols. Your schedules will be created from these records and that way if the symbol is in the drawings, it will be on the schedule. We use the "link text to record" to generate our on-screen and printed labels next to each symbol. This works by taking a field in the record and writing that data on the screen . This system helps us identify inconsistencies quickly when we generate our report by ensuring that each door or window symbol shows up on the report, even if it's off to the side of the printed page for some reason or duplicated on top of themselves. For every window on the drawing, it will show up in the schedule.

So our schedules basically count the door or window symbols in the drawing and write in all the detailed data from the records we have attached to that window or door. It's quick and easy.

[ 07-15-2004, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: tom kyler ]

i totally agree with tom kyler- attach a record (whether its a standard VW one, or a custom one of your own making) to symbols of windows. we use custom records and produce schedules referencing the id number that corresponds to the CSI format (08___ for windows, 16___ for lights, 15___ for plumbing fixtures, for example).

one other tip- i tend to use symbols of windows that are the elevation indtead of plan views. in that way everyone can easily see what the window looks like, and you can easily add the window shape to your schedule sheet. hope this helps...