Objects & Fonts

i noticed that when i place a drafting object, it will be inserted into the drawing using the current font. but when i change any aspect of that object (drawing title, revision number, line weight, etc.), it defaults to Geneva, and i can't seem to change it back. can anyone give me some feedback on this? thanks.

Additional information on this issue:

the object i have problems with so far are the drawing label and the revision marker. the drawing label i like to use is configuration 7, configuration 2, printe length 1/2", title text 24, bubble text 50, scale text 10, font is futura.

any change to these objects, including changing class, changing line weight, changing scale, will make it default to geneva. all the text sizes in the label will change drastically.

i also notice that the font and font size will change in a target file when it is used as a work group refernec file. its a real pain because there is no way to change it back to the way i like it, unless i delete it, replace it with a new one that has the correct info and sizes in the preferences box befeore i place it on the drawing...

Jim, not sure if this relevant but...I had similar problems in version 10 which were (more or less) fixed by making sure that all of my fonts were of the TRUE TYPE (TT) variety.

I am now using version 11.

The reason I said "more or less" above is this: when placing the first instance of some objects (like a room name, or drawing label) everything is as expected. With other objects (like section, elevation & detail markers) the first instance always gives me GENEVA. (I then normally change it & then duplicate it).

I would bet that there is something slightly weird in the way some of the PIO's were written...

Peter Cipes

Mac OS 10.3.4

VW's 11

• 1 month later...

this is still a problem even after we have updated to version 11.0.1. since most of our files were created in version 10, this might be the problem. what i do notice thought is that if i insert the drawing label object with the right sizes, font and descriptions PRIOR to placing in the drawing, and with the right font set under the text menu, the label will look as we want it. but the font size info in the info pallette will indicate the wrong sizes. it is very puzzling and annoying. i hope someone can give us some guidance. thanks...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Jim, I'm unable to reproduce this. I have the same OS (MacOS 10.3.4) and the same machine (PBG4) as you. But font-specific problems can be a bear. This may be a problem with the document-specific settings for the parameter records for these specific PIOs. Try selecting the tools and click the little "settings" button in the mode bar. Change the values that are causing you problems and see if this helps.