Pallets Bug

hollister design Studio

Question

Every time I open VW my "Sheet Layers" Palette is not visible.

It has been 'hidden' at the bottom of my design Layers palette and is ALWAYS hidden below the bottom of this palette.

At first I was confused because as it is actually there, just not visible, it IS checked in the window/palettes menu

There is no visual hint that it is there, unless you hover over that spot.

See video:

you can see that after I hover a divider pops up from nowhere and then I can drag the palette up to expand it.

Windows 10

VW 2021 SP4 build 602791

This has been this way since I first downloaded VW 2021

10 answers to this question

Try dragging it out to be a separate palette (not docked with anything else) and then if you want it docked drag it back where you want it.

Then quit and restart VW. The palette positions should now be saved. But they are resaved every time you successfully quit VW, so if you move them and expect them to go back it won't happen.

1 hour ago, Pat Stanford said:

Try dragging it out to be a separate palette (not docked with anything else)

Thanks for the idea Pat.

I've just tried this a ten different times.

Each time I've restarted the lower palette is hidden again - but can be dragged out after hovering over the bottom of the main palette.

IF I leave the sheet layer palette UNdocked it stays right where I left it.

But if I re-dock it below the design layer palette, it disappears.

I also noticed that the second I hit the OFF button, the lower pallete disappears before the program completely turns off.

Try putting the Sheet Layers at the top of the TOP of the Design Layers and restart.  Just guessing. Obviously there is a problem. Just trying to think of something that might be able to clear the problem so you can set it back up the way you want.

Or dock the Sheet Layers to the bottom of a different palette and see what happens.

Are you using a custom workspace? If so, can you try two more things?

I am running on a Mac with SP4 and just tried to simulate your workspace by pulling apart the Nav palette and restarting and I don't get the problem.

1. Upgrade to VW2021 SP4 and see if that solved the problem.

2. Go to one of the standard workspaces (probably the one you started from would be best) and pull apart the Navigation Palette to simulate your preferred setup. Try and see if that solves the problem. If it does, it may be a corrupt workspace and you will need to rebuild it.

I am not certain if workspaces are cross platform, but you are welcome to DM me your workspace to try.

I'll play around with it a bit and check back in.

Right now I'm working with it as is (as I have been for months.)

I am on SP4 build 602791 already so it's not that.

I'll do the start from scratch and modify back to my preferred when I have a moment.

You'd hate my workspace...

I asked you very early on if it made sense to make custom keyboard shortcuts and you said something like" it's very dangerous, just learn the ones that come with the package".

Needless to say I ignored your advice and have all kinds of workspace changes!

It there an easy way to output a list of all your workspace keyboard shortcuts and menus?

I can take screen shoots of every tab of the workspace editor... but that's a bit daunting...