Curved shaped top hedge

Hi all,

I have a Laurel hedge placed on a curve - say a 45? arc. This has the top shaped into an undulating wave.

Any ideas how I can produce this for a 3d model? Is a solid subtraction the method to take? I'm struggling to get my head around the multiple shape and plane aspect.

Help would be much appreciated - especially as I have other 'topiary' items to reproduce! Perhaps I should make them all cones!

Lynda

What about creating a NURBs curve? Start with a 2D polyline in one plane, perhaps plan view. Convert to NURBs. Switch to elevation view and add/subtract/move vertices to get the "line" in the shape you want from that perspective. Often, placing a few 3D loci at "known" points will help the get things where you want them.

Then draw a section-view of the hedge and Extrude Along Path. If the curve is too complex, you may have to break it into segments. Be aware that the shape you draw (hedge section, in this case) will be centered on the path when extruded. Don't worry too much about rotation of the shape. . .if it comes out wrong, you can always edit Shape and then rotate.

Good luck,

• 2 weeks later...