Thinking about VWA

I having been using SolidBuilder and DesignCad for my business. I am looking at VectorWorks 10/RenderWorks and would appreciate any feed back as to the learning curve and reliability. Plus support is very important. Do you recommend the software?

Thanks for any input.

Don't know anything about the programs you currently use, but a quick browse of this bulletin board will let you know that the technical support for VW is outstanding. I've never been involved with software where access to engineers has been so easy and where user partcipation in improving the software has been so fluid.

My experience goes back to version 4, so it's hard to judge what the current learning curve is like or how that may have changed over the years. I would say it's something like the cure curve for concrete: you can get a lot going in 14 days, but the rest of it will come at a slower rate as you get involved in the more complex aspects of the program. I personally would recommend not using the utilities that set up drawings with pre-assigned layer names and classes and preferences. You learn more by starting from scratch - like learning to drive on a stick shift instead of an automatic!

I'm sure many others have tips on available resources for getting up to speed quickly.

P Retondo,

Thanks for the reply and advise. SolidBuilder is a rendering CAD software program that was designed for the Design/Builder (Contractors). DesignCad is an inexpensive CAD (2D/3D) program that is pretty good for what you pay for, but is lacking in quality.

I have the Demo of VWA and love the ability to be able to play with the program, but I only have the Tutorial for help, and this does not walk me through how to create a simple house plans so I can get a feel about how the program works. I will have to experiment a lot to see if this fits my needs.

I did at first get hung up in the layer/class/manager thing, but understand what you are saying. I can understand a lot of it's advantages and usefulness when setting up a drawing.

Thanks again.

GREGG,

If you decide that VectorWorks is the software for you, then if you possibly can, you should plan to attend a professional VectorWorks training seminar (either by Nemetschek or by Improbibility - I think you can find info about dates on each's respective website).

While it might seem an expensive endeavor, if you have any plans to use VW's on a regular basis you will benefit enormously from this type of training.

You can also purchase the "Learning Series" CD's directly from Nemetschek. This will give you a good idea about program use & functionality.

Peter

yep the concrete drying cuvre seem to be a good guide.

i've seen an older architect who had never seriously used a computer pick up to enough understanding of vectorworks in about three weeks to be working almost as productively as he was on a drawing board.

it seems to be more important to have good construction knowledge than computer skills when using VW.

Thanks all, I am still evaluating the software, between work. If the demo came with a good tutorial that took you through a simple plan, it would be a lot easier to evaluate. As it is, the tutorial that comes with the demo is more like an index. [Confused]

Then there is the plotting/printing, I have seen some good software with poor plotting/printing. It is like having a great stereo system with poor speakers. With the demo you are not able to test out the plotting/printing. Maybe a trial version for 14-30 days would be the answer. Just a thought.

Thanks again for all of the replies.