reduce number of site model elevation notes

@bc turn off the automatically generated elevation tags and manually label them.

Seriously, this is the only way to reliably address this problem.  Some will tell you that you can manually go in and delete the overlapping tags, which you can.  However, they will reappear anytime the site model is regenerated and your time will have been wasted.

• Like 2

OK I bit the bullet.  Got it cleaned up, thanks to you guys.  I only had about 20 to delete 10 to move and don't expect there to be any more site model updating but if there IS.......

I wonder what the code is that says it's OK to put 10 labels within an inch of each other and how it so dominates that it was determined more trouble than it was worth to rewrite it? (Assuming, of course, it has been noticed)

• 1 year later...

Indeed, as Jeff said they do regenerate.  Some of them do and some don't. Regardless, given that I get 20 seconds of spinning beach ball with each deletion, the time to delete these 200 odd duplicates is prohibitive.  So I have moved on to creati9ng my own labels. Thanks Jeff. I was warned.

So I guess there are coders somewhere that look at the stacks and clusters of labels and they think, "Well at least I got them to appear".  They must not have to work with any models of any complexity.  I mean, why have this feature when the label generator creates such spaghetti? What is used as a basis for the label creation? Sheesh.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, bc said:

Indeed, as Jeff said they do regenerate.  Some of them do and some don't. Regardless, given that I get 20 seconds of spinning beach ball with each deletion, the time to delete these 200 odd duplicates is prohibitive.  So I have moved on to creati9ng my own labels. Thanks Jeff. I was warned.

So I guess there are coders somewhere that look at the stacks and clusters of labels and they think, "Well at least I got them to appear".  They must not have to work with any models of any complexity.  I mean, why have this feature when the label generator creates such spaghetti? What is used as a basis for the label creation? Sheesh.

I wish we didn't have to suffer with this issue.  I just tested 2023 and it is still happening.

I've seen this on the simplest of site models with "perfect" data sets.  It doesn't seem to matter if the site model is created from stakes, contours, imported poly lines, or site sculpting.  It doesn't seem to matter if it's an unmodified existing site model or one with site modifiers.  It's impossible to predict when your carefully placed labels will be replaced with these villainous ones with a mind of their own.  Back to labeling the old fashion way...

• Like 2

I thought at one time there was a post that referred to a setting that when set a certain way greatly lessened the actual quantity generated, albeit still way too many, to become somewhat manageable but alas I couldn't find it so I must have been living an illusion.   I guess we're stuck. They even touted big improvements with the site modeling in 2023.