Problem with 'Add 3D Object to Slab...' command

Tom W.

Question

On a current project I thought that instead of using Floor objects for my kitchen worktops I would use Slabs instead. Then I can save the worktops as styles + also utilise the Add 3D Object to Slab... command + have my sink symbol cut a hole in the worktop automatically via a wall hole component.

This is the sink symbol:

37967706_Screenshot2021-05-02at07_56_24.thumb.png.7c56defbe10c19f3050782f163627e12.png

This is the sink inserted on the worktop:

1429229964_Screenshot2021-05-02at07_50_43.thumb.png.eefff53fa0080a5de2e3d71c1668875b.png

This is the sink after Add 3D Object to Slab... command has been run:

1006176302_Screenshot2021-05-02at07_52_04.thumb.png.410544b9c3d5eb3cbabcc7e65f289881.png

Looks fine in 3D but in Top/Plan I have this:

1509253432_Screenshot2021-05-02at07_53_30.thumb.png.0fada993b78c822521aeafac2b0328af.png

Any ideas why I'm getting the weird diagonal lines (they are actually holes cut through the slab)? And why it should affect some + not others?

If I rotate each through 90 the effects change:

1426570389_Screenshot2021-05-02at07_54_50.thumb.png.4bcce8ff21974c22415a0c00281c435d.png

For some reason it affects mainly the slabs oriented on the Y axis rather than the X. Sometimes if I edit the modifiers + remove the symbol then reinsert it the issue is corrected. But in my model the worktop is oriented on the Y axis + no amount of twiddling will get it to display correctly. I even transferred the project to VW2021 to see if the problem persisted there (it does).

@Matt Panzer do you have any ideas why this is happening or anything I can do to prevent it?

Thanks

• Like 3

Just now, Matt Panzer said:

Any objects far from the origin in the original file?

No. I checked repeatedly because I was getting a lot of this as well:

342963784_Screenshot2022-02-14at10_16_09.thumb.png.3d3ce2d8c6dd8f3caa1dc6b9514bf586.png

This screenshot is showing me pressing the 'Align Working Plane with Current View' button then drawing a rectangle in advance of creating a VP. The geometry was fine until I drew the rectangle. It IS a georeferenced file but the geometry is drawn right at the Internal Origin + I can't find any far-away objects. And like I say, the stripy lines only appear when I try to draw the rectangle on the working plane. If I go ahead + create the VP then go to the sheet layer to look at it (it displays fine) then come back to the design layer the stripes have disappeared.

My new file is similarly georeferenced so is identical in that respect but now for some reason now the geometry is happy: no stripy lines like above when I draw a working plane rectangle + no weird facets appearing on the model after solid modelling operations. So far.

But like I say I have had the unwanted facets several times now in lots of different files, generally non-georeferenced ones.

Just to add to the issues I've been having with this file I've also had the white shapes thing happening as per this thread:

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
42 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

No. I checked repeatedly because I was getting a lot of this as well:

342963784_Screenshot2022-02-14at10_16_09.thumb.png.3d3ce2d8c6dd8f3caa1dc6b9514bf586.png

This screenshot is showing me pressing the 'Align Working Plane with Current View' button then drawing a rectangle in advance of creating a VP. The geometry was fine until I drew the rectangle. It IS a georeferenced file but the geometry is drawn right at the Internal Origin + I can't find any far-away objects. And like I say, the stripy lines only appear when I try to draw the rectangle on the working plane. If I go ahead + create the VP then go to the sheet layer to look at it (it displays fine) then come back to the design layer the stripes have disappeared.

My new file is similarly georeferenced so is identical in that respect but now for some reason now the geometry is happy: no stripy lines like above when I draw a working plane rectangle + no weird facets appearing on the model after solid modelling operations. So far.

But like I say I have had the unwanted facets several times now in lots of different files, generally non-georeferenced ones.

Just to add to the issues I've been having with this file I've also had the white shapes thing happening as per this thread:

Strange.  I'm not really sure what else to try.

I think your best bet would be to send the file to Tech Support or report a bug with the file.