All my Spotlight lighting fixtures seem to go straight through solid objects.

Cast shadows is ticked. Makes no difference whether fog or soft shadows is enabled

Renderworks lights dont do this.

Any clues?

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 1.23.24 AM.png

Set the Lighting Device to Cast Shadows. You can do this from the Edit button in the Object Information Palette.

As I said; I have done so; have tried many fixtures, restarted, etc

Never had this problem before; since 2011...

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 1.40.10 AM.png

Check your renderworks Background . You will need to enable Receive Shadows there as well with Lit Fog

• Like 1

What render mode are you using? Custom Renderworks has an option whether to render shadows.

Do you have a texture applied to the objects receiving light?

Good thinking; I've enabled receive shadows; but now fixtures dont work at all

Does the Lighting device that you are using have the Lighting Instrmument Texture applied to it? Check in the Texture resource that Cast Shadows is Unchecked.

• Like 1

@markdd theres a ZFile nested textures in that document with 2 textures: default instrument texture and blue glass; both have cast shadows checked.... now unchecking.

The problem is solved! I remember agreeing to accept a default instrument texture at some stage during this session; that must have been the cause. @markdd Do you think I could now change the reflectivity of the blue glass element to a glow texture - save myself some time drawing 50 little ovals? Maybe change colour to object attribute?