detail wood problem again

jnr

After converting an 8.52 file to 9.5 and updating objects, I now have a file where every single detail of cut wood in all my plans, sections, details etc., now have defaulted to a 2x2 actual size. I now have to spend about three hours going back thru the file and picking each component and reselect them to their orgininal size. Why does the program do this and who should I invoice for my time? This is VERY FRUSTRATING! I have a deadline to meet and cannot afford problems like this! mad.gif" border="0

Cipes:

Thanks for at least the morale support. I have done nothing more complicated than using the "detail cut wood" off the objects pallette both in 8.5 and 9.5. I have not modified or customized the program save for customizing the keyboard shortcuts. This is the second time this has happened and has cost me a significant amount of time and fee. I am highly suspicious of the changes that were made to the class structure between the two versions. For example one of my pet peeves is that auto-classing has been modified so that there is now a significant loss of efficiency in how parametric objects are brought in to an architectural drawing. In other words, they used to come in on classes which made sense (stairs to vertical class for example). Now one is forced with all kinds of stuff to re-classify once the object is brought in (they use the default class).

Another thing which gives me pause is that windows set to the window-main class look stupid and do not represent the window assembly or construction accurately. If one simply modifies the class to the none class, they look like a professional drew it. But then if everything is on the none class to get it to look correct, then whats the point of using a class for the windows?

JNR, this may not make your life any easier, but we need to keep in mind what one of my best VW instructors said: "Remember that this stuff is all really new and in many respects highly experimental". While I often hate the fact that I paid $$ for something that is often baffling, there are enough positives and they usually outweigh the negatives. When I look at drawings of mine from just a couple years ago the difference is dramatic! Happy New Year! PLC

JNR, I'm mainly just curious, but wondering if you're using a symbol or Plug-in (or what) for these "cut wood" sections. Is it the same one in each case (so that in each case it's exploding) or is there somrthing else going on? I have had somewhat similar problems with translation from v8 (but fortunately none lately) most of which were caused by using corrupt, or an even older version symbol or PIO. Sometimes it had to do with class settings which imported with the objects.The techies need to know about your problem. They will probably be able to help. PLC

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

JNR, the classing problems which you bring up with regularity have been dealt with in the following way, at the request of a majority of users, which I will explain once again:

-Objects placed with the object tools will enter the drawing in the default class, unless you change their auto class property using the Properties dialog in the Edit Plug-in command;

-Objects placed using the predefined libraries available and automatically installed in the Object Browser will auto-class exactly as they did in earlier versions.

Robert:

The only reason I have brought this up again is that in fact some of the libraries in the object browser do not auto classify as stipulated. My copy of 9.5 does not auto classify all obects off the object browswer. I clealy understand that if it does not come off the object browser in Architect, it will not auto classify.

While we are at it, did you try to toggle a window inserted into a wall by changing the class from none to windows-main to see what I am talking about with regards to a window looking like a window? That is, it looks like one in the none class, and does not in windows-main.