Text resizing problem w/ scale change

I'm sure this is simple. I've created a design layer with a certain scale. When I change the scale (and visibility) of that layer to make a background for another drawing, and then revert to the original scale to work on the original drawing again, the text is all screwed up and in the scale of the "other" drawing. To get it back to normal, I have to double click on the text, and click "ok" in the window that opens, after which it reverts to the correct scale. Needless to say, this makes my trousers hurt.

What am I doing wrong?

Squidly - changing the scale of the layer for this purpose is not an easy way of doing it.

Try doing it by Layer Linking instead. This will allow you to bring in the information you want to your different scaled layer. If you then unlock it you can move it around as you want, including out of the way when you want to print. The advantage of this is that the information will update as you update the plan. When you have finished the drawing you can delete this linked information.

[ 10-30-2005, 02:51 AM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

Squidly, to further enhance what Mike said: As of version 11.5 and the advent of Viewports(VP) I have been doing all of my drafting, for every layer of my drawing, in the same scale (usually 1/4" - 1'). This includes the site plan. That way I can place my building layers (mod-floor-1, etc) correctly in context to the site. In order to create presentation sheets, I create a VP, with the appropriate layers/classes active, AND at the appropriate scale, and place the VP onto the appropriate sheet layer. Additionally, I have been trying to be disiplined and NEVER place text in a design layer (these are purely for objects, not not notations), but instead add it to the annotations of the relevant VP. Hope that helps :-)

The trouble I have when I placed all my notations in VP_Annotation layer is when I try to duplicate my notations (i.e. drawing labels, callouts, texts, and dimensions) from one VP to another VP, and from one sheet to another. My text would sometime DISAPPEAR!

And I can't figure out where they might have disappear to or why? Is there an easy and reliable way to duplicate the annotations from one VP into another VP and sheets? Thanks.

Well, what you have to do is either: 1) duplicate the entire VP (which will bring with it all the annotations), or 2) Enter the annotations, copy what you want, exit the annotations, enter the other VP's annotations, and paste (or paste in place).

Now, there is an issue, which I have noticed a lot, where the most recently drawn (or pasted, or moved) object in a VP annotation will *seem* to dissappear. It is not really gone. All you have to do is zoom out (or in) and back (or change the view to force a screen redraw) and voila, it will reappear.

There are some occasions, when certain info is common to a great many different VP's, that it makes sense to place that info in a design layer. The problem with this (as the beginning of this thread contends) is that it makes it much more difficult to change scale, or rotate the whole view, once you do put it on a sheet layer (in a VP).

Ultimately each user needs to decide, for each each job sometimes, what will work best for their desired outcome...

[ 10-30-2005, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: CipesDesign ]

Peter

There is a major problem with placing text on the annotations layer of a viewport. When sharing dwg with other consultants, it makes it tough for us to overlay your dwg with mine and see all that might be revelant. I have one civil engineer who works in that format, I usually will budget an extra 2-4 hours of time to deal with having to switch back and forth to make sure I do not miss anything. I resultly used him as a sub to me and set my dwg up with the text in VP mode and cured him of the subject. Notes have a way of being missed when they are not visible on design layers.

[ 10-30-2005, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: tvetter ]

Squidly, If you select a VP, then click on the "advanced properties" tab in the Object Info Palette, there is (among other things) a setting for "line weight scale". So for instance, you can draw everything in your design layer(s) with a 1pt line, and then by setting the scale of the line weight to 6 in the VP settings, you will be printing 6 pt lines. With a little trial and error I'll bet you could get just what you're looking for ;-)