Mac/Vectorworks compatibility with large PC centric client

The office I work for is looking into bidding for a consultancy job with the following (paraphrased) prerequisites:

quote:

Must be willing to install a Lotus Domino Server and Lotus Notes (v6) client on all workstations of all staff who are sharing workflow applications with the client.

The client's current GIS system utilises Integraph's Geomedia Professional v5.2 as its core platform for storing the data in an Oracle 9i database. The client's staff view GIS data via a web-based system utilising Autodesk Mapguide v6.3. The GIS team makes use of both the Microstation v8 and Autocad for detailed work and 3D modelling. All data supplied must be compatible with this and thereby GIS and CAD data must be supplied in one of the following:

DGN (Microstation v8 or before)

DWG/DXF (Autocad 2004 or before)

TEB - Mapinfo

SHP - Arcview

Geomedia Access Database

Any data must utilise the British National Grid Coordinate System. The files should be supplied with the appropriate metadata indicating the data files structure, version and available datasets. The GIS team will supply a template for the required metadata beforehand.

Considering our office consists of G5 PowerMacs, an Xserve (all running Mac OS X v10.4), Vectorworks 11, and a low-powered Windows XP laptop, what are we looking at realistically in terms of meeting these prerequisites do you think?

As far as I can work out you can't get Lotus Domino for Mac so that would mean getting Lotus Domino for Windows and probably a more powerful PC than our laptop to run it. Lotus Notes is available for Mac OS X.

As for 2D/3D CAD data, could we get away with the DWG export/import function in Vectorworks? I'd be a little wary of how robust it is considering the size of the client. I'm thinking we'd probably need a programmer to ensure this process was smooth enough.

Also, does anyone know about REB, SHP and Geomedia Access Databases and how we might interface with these forms of data (especially via Vectorworks if applicable)?

[ 09-27-2005, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Christiaan ]

We are evaluting somthing similar job, but we have great difficult to manage large vectorialized map (.dwg files). Vectorworks result a pain in zoomming and scrollig on my G5 DP 2.3 1.5Gb ram(Autocad 2000 LT result much faster on Celeron 1.2 Ghz laptop). The entry thread I've opened on Video Card on Mac is started from this issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Emulation may be acceptable for occasional use of a stand-alone program, but, quite apart from the issue of whether or not Lotus Dominion Server or the other required programs will even run inside an emulated environment, emulation is simply not a viable option in a network environment.