Instrument Summary Tool Problems

Luz

I am using the 2020 version of vectorworks on a Windows machine

I was having troubles rotating the 3d instruments. The solution according to internet was to delete the 2D component to be able to rotate them.

However, the problem is that now my Instrument Summary Tool is not showing symbols or instrument counts (this is what worries me the most) .

How can I make my Summary Tool working again?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@michaelk is correct.

it is no longer necessary to delete the 2D geometry, as long as you are using the 2020 version of the instrument.

If you have to work on a file created in 2019 or older make sure to update the symbol definition in the file otherwise the new rotation fields will not be accessible.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This should happen automatically when an older file is opened in 2020, as part of the conversion process

If for whatever reason it has not happened, there are several ways to do it

For lighting instruments you can use the find and modify or the replace instrument commands in the spotlight menu. Or you can use the replace lighting device command found in the OIP shape pane for the Selected instruments

For Trusses the quickest way to fix them is to select and insert a sections of the used type (doesn't matter about the length) from the default library and as you insert it into your file it will trigger the resource conflict dialogue. Choose replace and it will update the exiting truss symbols of that type. You can also use the replace truss type command from the spotlight rigging menu or if the its a custom truss symbol that is not being correctly detected as a truss symbol the convert to truss and the convert to truss symbol commands in the Braceworks menu

Another option that will work with any symbol type in our content library is to open te resource manager, find the desired symbol in either the default or service select section, select and right click on it. in the right click menu choose import. This will again open the resource conflict dialogue, choose replace and the symbol definition in your file will be replaced with default symbol definition from the VW content library.