BMYDesign

New Truss components for Braceworks

Good Morning Everyone, I have several truss symbols, That I need to add into my truss library for Braceworks.  I have all of the engineering information but was wondering if there was a HOW TO located somewhere that I could quickly reference.

@BMYDesign At this point in time there really is no HOW TO or documentation for adding your own engineering information.  This is all done through code and XML files for all shipped content.  I am currently working on creating a document in between working on manufacturer libraries to explain all of the steps from creating the truss geometry to making it Braceworks compatible but there is no timeframe for completion.  I have attached an image for you that shows what elements of the engineering data are needed and where they are placed in the Cross Section data in the Truss Properties window.  To access this page simply open the Truss Properties window and choose "Change Cross Section".  A window will open where you can enter all of your engineering data and choose the appropriate shapes from dropdown menus.

Keep in mind though that custom truss cross sections DO NOT transfer from document to document.  If you try to import the custom symbols into another document the cross section will be removed and the truss will return to a Rigid cross section.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Truss Cross Section Creation.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/4/2020 at 12:10 AM, JustinVH said:

To access this page simply open the Truss Properties window and choose "Change Cross Section".

Thanks Justin for this information and that diagram is very useful. I'm sure the button for 'Change Cross Section' used to be in the OIP but I can only get to this now by right clicking the Truss object and finding it in the contextual menu. Is that the only way to access 'Change Cross Section'?

Thanks,

Peter

@Peter Neufeld You are correct.  The only way to change the cross section is throughTruss Properties page by right clicking on a truss symbol.

• Like 1

I have a new 16"x16" spigoted truss from Tomcat that braceworks does not have yet.  I have the engineering specs for 8' sections and hoping this will translate to using 5' and 10' sections also, but don't have my hopes up. I would love some guidance on what some of the vectorworks cross section data is referring to.  Specifically, the brace design, circular or alternating????....not sure what "circular" vs "alternating" actually means.   Also, which Moment of inertia (ie... moment of inertia of chord, "strong moment of inertia, by length" ( under global truss properties).  Is there any clarification here?  I have analyzed the previous picture you posted on this thread, but these questions remain.

Edited by a guy

@a guy Is there any way that you can DM me the engineering data for the truss and I can take a look.  I just create the geometry and setup the auto connect information.  The Braceworks information is setup by our structural engineer and then coded into the software.  I may be able to decipher though if you send it to me, no promises though.