MTRobin

Lighting Fixtures within Symbols are not Unique

Question

Hi Everyone,

I have found a big issue with lighting devices within symbols. Often times I will have multiple overhead trusses or a truss mirrored SR and SL. In these cases I make the truss and all the lights on the truss a symbol so if I edit one it will update all the instances.

What I have found is that when I then edit the unit number or any OIP lighting device parameters, such as channel or address, it makes all the symbol instances the same. I feel that this is not what should happen here. The fixtures should be unique so you can have lights within a symbol and they will have their own unique values within their records.

I have attached a video to demonstrate this. The first part is how it should work, and the second part is what happens after I make all the fixtures a symbol.

Thank you

Maxwell

3 answers to this question

20 minutes ago, Kevin Allen said:

Lighting devices are supported in symbols. 

Don’t you mean “are not” Kevin?

@MTRobinwhat you are describing is a workflow that is not supported using Symbols. I think that the nearest thing you will come to it is if you make a Blue Symbol which always coverts to a group on insertion.

Making them groups instead of symbols would work, but then if I need to move a lighting fixture it won't update all the instances. Having the lighting device records not be constrained to the symbol would be helpful.