Matching the edges of lines

I'm not sure I have the right term, and that is why I can't find the right tool...maybe:

I have drawn a free hand line and would like to use that line for the edge of a stipple, or a hatch, or another polygon. For instance, I have drawn a heavy silhouette line for the grade and would like to make a polygon to show the soil below. Is there a way to match the edges of a new polygon to the edges of a freehand line?

BTW the smoothing feature of the 11.5 freehand tool is really nice.

Andrew, others may differ on their technique, but usually what I do is this: Draw a polygon which has, as its upper boudary, a straight line representing the grade. Set the poly to be filled (with whatever you want, could be white, could be soil hatch) but set the outline (pen foreground) to be zero. Then I go back and draw a wavy (or straight as called for) line over the top - at grade. Hope that helps...

Andrew

Sounds like your polygon is not closed. Change tthe fill to a solid color and see if the poly is completely filled. The easiest fix may be to recreate the poly and make sure the first and last points snap together. It may help to turn off the grid snap.

If the poly is closed, then the layer scale may be too large for the size of the poly, showing only small pieces of the hatch. If so, you may need to use the hatch editor to change the hatch scale.

JHE

No, my question is not about closing a polygon, nor is it really about fills.

My question is about finding the best way to match the edge of a polygon to a freehand line.

I can match if I zoom in real close and add lots of points to my polygon, but was hoping to find a tool similar to the offset tool that would make a perfect fit in a few keystrokes.

I can relate with your desire to replicate the "softness" of hand drawings using a freehand line. However, I've found that certain things must be given up in order to balance "effect" with speed, accuracy and sanity when using CAD.

And I think this is one of the lesser things.

Instead of a freehand line (for an elevation drawing grade line, for example), I simply use a polygon, and with corner point vertices. If you want hatching below it, just draw a huge rectangle the same width, then clip its surface (after appropriately closing and stretching the polygon over it). Then give it zero-thickness so it shows only as hatch. It becomes clean, editable, exportable, and best of all, if you use just enough vertices, it can look kinda like freehand, too.

Just my 2?

Andrew,

One more possibility to explore:

If you draw your shape with the polyLINE tool, instead of the polygon tool, you can use the OIP to turn off all of the lines except the one(s) representing grade. This method offers the following:

1) Since you're using the polyline tool, you can add additional vertices (of any nature: bezier, cubic, arc, etc.) to help your line appear more "freehand".

2) Since you've drawn a shape, it can take a fill.

(Now if there was only a convert to polyline tool. . .)

Good luck,

(add after rereading your original post)

What if you simply used your "heavy" line to clip a rectangle?

[ 03-07-2005, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: Travis ]

Andrew if I understand you correctly you would like to create a polygon that matches your existing lines as closely as possible without overlapping of any kind. As I am fairly new to VectorWorks my best solution is as follows. First start by drawing an open polygon under the grade line where you would like to show the soil. You should leave the side towards the grade line open and also make sure that your start and end points have been snapped to the grade line. Then select the grade line and copy it. Then choose the Paste In place Command under the Edit menu. This will place a copy of the grade line exactly on top of the original. With the new copy still selected Shift Select your open polygon and move both shapes directly down to a clean drawing space. There you can Trim off the two ends of your grade line leaving the remaining center piece to be joined as a cap to your polygon. Select both pieces and choose the Compose command under the Tool menu. You should now have a polygon that exactly matches your grade line and can be filled with whatever you want. I know there is a probably a better way to do this, but if you have all the steps clear in your mind it really only takes about 30 seconds. As a footnote, make sure that when you move the pieces you do so in a way that you can precisely put them back. You don't really have to move them, but I do so just for clarity. Also, it is important that the two objects be touching for the Trim and Compose commands to work properly.-Brendan

Okay here is what works to solve my problem:

1. Draw the polyline, or polygon, that contains the area to be filled.

2. Draw the freehand line that is going to be used to trim the filled area.

3. Make a copy of the trim line if it needs to extend past the area to be filled. Move it aside. We'll bring it back later.

4. Use the trim command to a) cut the polygon/line and b) cut freehand line that extend beyond the object to be filled.

5. Use the compose command to combine the shortened freehand line and the trimmed polygon/line.

6. Move the extra freehand line back into place, if you moved it away.

This is a mix of peices from most of the replies to this message. Thanks to all for posting.

This is a tough program to learn how to use well, but everyday I find myself becoming more convinced that this is a very capable tool. This forum is a wonderful asset. Thanks for the help. I look forward to gaining the ability to return the favor.

After all these good suggestions, I think the clipping idea is the one that I've been looking for.

1) Make a polygon that represents the area to be filled. Be sure to extend the polygon beyond the freehand edge.

2) Draw the freehand edge. Clip the polygon with the freehand line.

I'll give it a try and report back if I run into a snag.

Thanks, all.