nahekul

Area function in spreadsheet does not work for space objects anymore

Jim Wilson

Issue resolved in 2019 SP2

Message added by Jim Wilson

The area function in spreadsheets is not displaying space object areas in Vectorworks 2019. This has always worked in previous versions.
Formula in spreadsheet: =AREA((((L='Design Layer-1') & ('Space'.'11_Number'='R1'))))
Database still displays the space area correctly.
The area formula displays correctly for polygons or rectangles. 

Probable cause:
- Clicking on a polygon or rectangle will display the area in the OIP.
- Clicking on the space object does not display the area in the OIP. Where the area should be is blank.

V2019 Spreadsheet test.vwx

Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 3.02.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 3.02.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 3.02.17 PM.png

Or any of the following depending on your needs. The ones were the field name starts with 11 return a formatted text field. The others return a number of type Real.

'Space'.'Proposed Area'
'Space'.'Area'
'Space'.'Gross Area'
'Space'.'GSA BIM Area'
'Space'.'Custom Area'
'Space'.'11_Proposed Area'
'Space'.'11_Area'
'Space'.'SubtractionArea'        TEXT
'Space'.'SubtractionAreaNum'   REAL
'Space'.'MeasuredNetArea'        TEXT
'Space'.'MeasuredNetAreaNum'       REAL
'Space'.'11_Gross Area'
'Space'.'EnergyArea'
'Space'.'EnergyAreaFac'
'Space'.'SpaceCommon_NetPlannedArea'
'Space'.'SpaceOccupancyRequirements_AreaPerOccupant'
'Space'.'SpaceThermalDesign_BoundaryAreaHeatLoss'

Yes, all the database functions still work. 

It is just the regular spreadsheet function (=AREA(('Space'.'11_Number'='X'))) that does not. 

This is due to the space object not displaying an area for the polygon in the OIP

That is correct. The Space object does not have an area that can be queried directly. It calculates all the different areas internally and you can them access them using the Record.Field format, but the Area (and probably Volume, and maybe the width, height, depth functions) will not return valid data for a Space object.

On 10/1/2018 at 9:34 AM, Pat Stanford said:

That is correct. The Space object does not have an area that can be queried directly. It calculates all the different areas internally and you can them access them using the Record.Field format, but the Area (and probably Volume, and maybe the width, height, depth functions) will not return valid data for a Space object.

This has been fixed in Vectorworks 2019 SP2. 

Space objects now display the area correctly without the need to use the Record.Field format. 

• Like 1

@nahekul Thanks for continuing to check that out. And thanks to the development team at Vectorworks for making the changes necessary to have Space objects return the data expected.

I'm encountering a different problem related to calculating space areas, and have officially run out of brain cells on this. This seems totally screwed up to me, but I'm new to 2019, so maybe I'm missing something here...

When using 'Space'.'Area' in my worksheet, the values are getting multiplied by precisely 92903.384. See screenshot.

When using 'Space'.'11_Area', the area is reporting correct however, so there's no issue with my units or anything like that.

I'm trying to tabulate total areas of multiple spaces, so I need to be able to apply the SUM function to these values. The worksheet will not SUM the space areas when delivered via text field, so I need 'Space'.'Area' to work for this.

Also, can someone please tell me how the new database header option called "sum values" factors into any of this? Clicking this on or off doesn't seem to do much, other than add a little 'plus' symbol at the header.

please help me!

...and thank you!

Matt

space_areas_WTF.png

space_areas_WTF.png