Maxweisen

VWX 2018 - Hanging lights on an angled truss

Hello,

I am trying to hang light symbols on an angled truss.

I laid out my truss with no hanging angle, then I added the lights where I would like to see them on the truss. 

Next, I checked "Draw 3D Only" on the truss hanging position.

I go to the right 3D view and use the rotate tool. 

I rotate the trusses to a 45 degree angle. 

The truss rotates but the lights do not follow. 

The lights did follow when I trimmed the entire truss unit from 0 Z axis. 

What am I doing wrong? Or is there a specific method to angle a truss converted to a hanging position with lighting fixtures on it?

Thanks,

Max

The truss needs to be converted to a hanging position. That way the lights will travel with the truss. If the lights are already in place, then select the lights, right-click on them and select Add to hanging position and then select the truss system.

hope that works for you

You have to tell the lights to rotate as well. In the OIP go to set 3D rotation. You can not rotate lights and truss all at once unless you ungroup high-level objects, and then group them all together, which is not recommended. It's much easier to do the first method.

@markdd 

I converted the truss to a hanging position, then I assigned the lights to the hanging position in the OIP.

When I move the truss around without putting an angle on it, the lights move with the truss. 

I then try to put an angle on the truss (hanging position) by double clicking it and then rotating from a side view using the rotate tool. 

The lights do not follow the truss at that point.

Don’t double click. Just select the hanging position and rotate using the rotate tool.

Don’t select the lights. Just the hanging position. The z value of the lights if properly associated with the position will alter with the hanging position as you rotate it. I believe this is a new feature in a recent service pack. I discovered it a few months ago.

@markdd 

I did that as well. Got the same error. I tried unchecking witness lines and I was able to rotate the truss but the fixtures stayed in the same position. 

Could it have something to do with witness lines?

I made this quick video. Watch through to the end as the reason you may be having problems is explained then!

And another one:

Edited by markdd
  • Like 2

@markdd 

Both of these videos directly address my issues I was having! Great explanation on adding the center line too. It makes much more sense now.