Controlling the behaviour of nested 2D symbols

Hi all,

I have a 2D symbol, within which are smaller multiple 2D symbols. Let's call them the master symbol and the sub symbols for clarity. I wish to scale the master symbol asymmetrically, whilst keeping the sub symbols fixed to their original scale (not to scale proportionally with the master symbol). However there does not appear to be any way of doing this. If I solve this, it will save a great deal of destructive editing.

Can anyone help please?

Ross

Hi Gabriel,

Yes i thought that too. I've attached a sample file with the symbols in question (labelled for clarity), and scaled to demonstrate. I've included VW2018, VW 2014 and VW2012 versions for convenience. Note I'm scaling the symbol disproportionately in the object info pane. It's a window symbol and allow me to just use one symbol for all my windows that have a variable width (but same height divisions).

(Note that on my system when I have a master 'group', containing sub symbols, and I scale the group, the sub symbols do not scale proportionally)

Hope you can help

Ross

VW Nested Symbol Issue v2012.vwx

VW Nested Symbol Issue v2014.vwx

VW Nested Symbol Issue.vwx

Hi Ross,

I haven't been able to replicate your problem. I copied your master symbol and then pasted in a new file. Attached snapshot of before and after asymmetrical scaling. The sub symbol still remains as is though. In fact, it remains as it was, which I do believe is the right behaviour.

Could you share how you scaled the master symbol?

Gabriel

Asymmetrical Scaling file.vwx

after scaling.png

before scaling.png

Edited by Gabriel Chan

Hi there,

I've been stretching the 'master symbol' (not the contents of the master symbol) with the cursor using the side bounding box handle. The factor then appears in the object info pane.

I see you've double clicked on the symbol / selected the contents and then used the 'menu / modify / scale'  dialog. Doing it that way defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to use multiple instances of the same symbol, each one stretched by different asymmetrical scale factors - i.e. to different window widths. 

If the frame heights change further into the project, all I need to do is edit the heights within the symbol and every window in my drawing pack will update automatically.

Hope that's clear now

R

Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 15.19.28.png

17 hours ago, bcd said:

I'm not a big fan of symbol scaling

Me too.

But looking back there might have been situations where it may have

been more wise to do so instead of using duplicate Symbols.

But there is at least 1 case where scaling Symbols is very handy.

Symbols with Wall cut option like recesses or openings.

You create one single Symbol in 1*1*1 m dimension, when inserting you

can easily set them to all possible dimensions by Symbol Scaling by simple

adding the dimensions in the Scale input fields. Like 2*0.3*1.2 m