need NURBS surface rendering help

I've never solved this problem and need help:   When trying to 3D model a stone or paved path that is not uniformly the same width, I use NURBS curves to make a surface, then render the surface.  However, it always happens that the rendered surface is distorted by amount of vertices on each side of the path.  Look at the first attachment and you'll see the diagonal lines going from one vertex to a corresponding one on the other side.  At point 'A' they are reasonably close and the texture is not terribly distorted.  However, at point 'B' the distortion is very bad, as I show on the second attachment using a brick texture.     How do I add vertices, or get the diagonal lines to "line up" perpendicular to the path, so the distortion is acceptable.  (I find that some distortion when using stone gravel textures works OK.)  Is there a better work-around ?

path test.jpg

path test rendered.jpg

Kevin: your solution does not work.  There is no way to logically adjust the number of points (U, V) and everything I tried had little or no affect.

bcd:   your solution works well for what I need, as long as the texture is gravel or grass.    Thanks a lot.   However, there are times when I want the surface texture to be brick pavers, and to have them curve with the path.   The solution you gave doesn't align a paver texture (with running bond)  to a curved pathway in 3D.  Can you offer a suggestion as to how this could be done ?