Vectorworks shuts down when trying to save

CourtSik

Question

I downloaded the trial of Vectorworks 2018, and I am unable to save. Every time I click on any of the save options, the file instantly shuts down. I've contacted tech and they've had me try quite a few things, but nothing has worked. I downloaded a trial version onto my boyfriend's crappy computer, and it works just fine, so I can't figure out what the problem could be. I've put many hours into trying everything tech has told me to do, and everything I can think to do, and I'm at a loss. If I can't figure this out, I won't be able to purchase Vectorworks. Any thoughts?

7 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This is usually that the default save location doesn't have read/write permissions, but I've rarely come across that for a first time install, its ususally after a server location previously saved to was taken offline suddenly while Vectorworks was still up.

What is the name of the disk your Program Files folder is on? What is the name of your user account on that machine? Reply back with the following as well please and I can take a look:

So I spent an additional 2-3 hours today on trying every possible permission setup I could, taking control of the program, uninstalling/reinstalling, trying a different file to install from, copying the exact same permissions shown on my AutoCAD, etc. and to no avail. Unless you (Jim) or someone else can help with this, I'm going to have to walk away from Vectorworks. As much as I have enjoyed working with the program so far, it's unfortunately useless to me without having the ability to save. I've dumped hours into trying to fix this issue because I really wanted to use Vectorworks, but I'm going to need to give it up soon and start focusing on something else. Incredibly disappointed (not to mention frustrated).

OK, so this is really laughable since I spent probably close to 4 hours trying all kinds of things and nothing worked. I called tech today and the guy I spoke to said they found on Dell computers that the Dell Back Up and Recovery program was causing this issue so I removed that, and it worked! I'm going to let the tech guy I had been communicating with know, because he must not have. And, in the future, I'll probably just call tech directly. It also helps to talk to different people because, like in this case, some people may know things others don't.