Using VW as a surveyor

Hi! 

I work as a surveyor and I'm very curious about maybe "up-ing my game" when presenting my data. Can VW be a suitable tool for this purpose? I've never used VW before but I'm a really fast learner.

I envision being more visual when presenting my data. I measure everything from pipes/sewages to landscape or construction objects. 

I'm from Sweden so excuse me in advance if I don't use proper terms in English!

Yes it is possible to import survey information into VW and rework that into nice looking presentable formats but it would depend on your needs/requirements whether VW would be the best tool for you, e.g if you would need specific functionality.

If you need to share digital files as well you need to keep possible conversion issues in mind if there are requirements to be met for the output file.

Without knowing more details regarding possible requirements this is all I can say for now.

Thanks Art V! I have all I need in my current software to deliver all what is required... What I'm looking for is something that can either make a wow-factor or be really useful for my clients. Hopefully both! I would gladly receive all kinds of inspiration and ideas.

Are there anyone in this forum that receives data from land-surveyors? What would make you feel like the surveyor walked the extra mile for you? Do you have inspiration for how VW could be useful for someone in my field?

What software are you generally using for your deliverables?

Just a very simple small example... VW output can be more similar to e.g. Illustrator in looks than like e.g. AutoCAD output with less effort so it will look a bit more polished. (e.g. circles generally look smoother in PDF's from VW than from AutoCAD when you look more closely).  It are these little things that give some difference in the overall output perception, but that also depends on the output required.

So it depends a bit on what software you are using and what it's graphical ability/quality is to be able to compare it with VW.

Edited by Art V

Maybe a view from the other side may help a bit too.

I would like to get surveyor data in 3D Points, 3D Contours and a DTM,

so that I can choose which is appropriate in that special situation.

And as we work by placing our building at the file origin,

mostly lower left corner of the building grid,

it could be nice to get the data already moved to such a fix point in all 3 Dimensions.

Not so necessary for me, but about the "Style".

I think it would impress many people if they don't get just a mail with a text file,

but also some colored 2D illustrations with some further information about the site.

Like colored slopes, drainage directions and such things that VW Site Models will

generate very easily.

Thank you all for your time and commitment, i really appreciate it!! 

Interesting, maybe we have a different culture regarding what is typically delivered. On most project i deliver 3D lines, layered and colored after content and/or date if you'd wish (DWG format). I can also deliver DTM's with or without contour lines, or just the contour-lines in a DWG (on proper heights). I use a Swedish software called Topocad. For land-surveyors its a real nice one-program solution since you can do advanced CAD:ing and handling with survey-data...

Drainage direction sounds interesting, is it possible to (relatively easy) convert 3D-lines (from DWG or similar) to more graphical 3D-lines? I'm thinking about the possibility to do a visual check for collision control? (Making sure the pipes are not drawn too close). 

Is it possible to make cross sections between several DTM's? 

My hopes are to keep my current software but upgrading my delivery by also giving something visually outstanding.  

i have all that pipe etc in my library so putting together what you see (foreground) is fast (4hrs) 

the trick is making it right...all the pipes have slope 1% NS and 0.25% EW & and exact Northing & Easting so checking that with what i was given takes maybe another 8-16hrs

(just the foreground)

this took more than a year of my time...checking everyones work & making report videos for the team