Changing Printed Sheet sizes

Andrew Mac

I had created a drawing with sheets and layer to be printed on 18 x 12-page set up.  I added a lot on the annotation layer on my sheets-  At the last moment, the client wanted to change the sheet sizes to 24x36.  I had several viewports on the sheets each with some annotations on them.

I thought it would be easy when changing the sheet sizes to greater.  Simply change the scale of the view, say 1/4" to 1/2".  The only problem was none of my annotations changed on the scale.  

Is there a better way?? - Am I missing something?

In a duplicate file, try this alternate method:

Change sheet size in document, sheets, page setup printer setup.

Scale the VPs with the Modify>Scale Objects command, instead of the OIP Scale field.

Select one or more VPs>Invoke the command.

Choose a scale factor for each VP that fits everything   as desired on the page.

In the dialog, enable the Scale Text option, but disable the Whole Drawing option. Accept/Exit the command dialogue. 

This method scales the text and preserves all the object and annotation  locational relationships. The new scale  is reported in the drawing label. Down sides  include unusual scale notations (choose wisely), markers/line weights/hatches/ may need adjusting in OIP Advanced Settings., text scales properly, bu can end up in unusual sizes (12 pt might scale to 15.5 or other non standard size).

Another way avoids changing the vwx drawing at all:

Publish/save all the sheets of the orig file to PDF and scale up to fill new sheet size via the print dialog. Downsides include incorrect scale notation in the drawing labels. Perhaps a cover sheet or note could explain the rescale, similar to the half size prints often issued for convenience and cost saving.

-B