modeling brick side stacks, soldiers, sills and keystones

marshigh

I’ve wanted to figure out how to model this for years and couldn't find a solution till now. Window surrounds that included brick stacks (the bricks that run along side the windows), the brick sills (sometimes called rowlocks), the brick soldiers (the taller bricks that run along the top of the windows) and the keystones (the sandstone shape in the middle of the soldiers). This is how I did it:

- Window symbol was put (in the window class) and gave it my desired width/height specs.
- I gave it a exterior trim roughly the width of a brick (3.67”); made it very thin (1/16”); and turned off trim under the window.
- I assigned a brick bond texture (with a brick bond hatch) to the exterior window trim class. So far this gives you a window with brick side stacks and trim above the window that will soon be covered up by another piece.
- Then I duplicated the window in place; turned it into a cased opening; made the jambs, trims and sashes all 0”; 
- I turned on the “lintel” and gave it an 8” ht. ( the ht. of a soldier); and an 1/8” ext. protrusion (so it sticks out proud of the top window trim).
- I assigned a brick bond texture (with hatch) that runs vertically... to the "lintel" class.
I turned on the “sill” and fooled with the specs till I had it where I wanted it.
- I assigned a brick bond texture (with hatch) that runs vertically (it might be the horizontal brick bond that works) to the "sill" class.
- I also increased the width of this duplicate window symbol (wide enough for the lintel above and sill below to line up with the edge of the window trim on the main window symbol).
- I may have fooled with the ht. slightly so that lintels and sills all aligned properly with the ht. of the main window symbol.
- I changed the class on this duplicated window symbol to “non-plot” so that it would not show up on the window schedule
- Lastly, I extruded a keystone shape (these vary in size)…I made mine a little taller than the soldiers…and slid it into place.
  • Like 1

So you do not use a brick mold on sides & top? If the window has a wall flange for nailing to the face of the wall I usually use a brick mold so if you have to you can replace the window, unlike my house which they have bricked over this flange & will make if more work to cut out the windows for replacement. I always had problems in showing the brick mold using the window tool, for the had no option except to splay the exterior wall finish which I have never done to any building.

!Looks great @ 

• 2 weeks later...

Michaelk, who are you asking n example of ?

Also, in the examples above the plans do not match the elevations, in plan I see a window sash, frame & some type of trim that looks to be flush with the surface of the brick, this trim coulb be a brick mold, but it would be back at the wall over the window flange it it has one or just to cover the gap between the brick veneer & wall sheathing.

I'm trying to find my brick mold at window section detail, once I do it will be posted.

See attached PDF for section details from Pella window manufacture, but typical wood or rot resistant brick mold, like from home depot is different, see second attached PDFBrick Mold Details - Pella Windows.pdf

EC Moulding Brick Mold.pdf

Edited by Dubman
Found brick mold detail