Jump to content
grant_PD

worksheet report filtering by sheet

Recommended Posts

Is there a way to filter a report for records found within viewports inside a specific sheet?  I tried setting the location filter to the viewport name, but it returned 0 results.  

Share this post


Link to post

Ah yes, this fun issue...sarcasm implied. Unfortunately this functionality requires you to create separate worksheets for each sheet being queried. That being said I think I just discovered a methodology this morning that may help.

  1. Edit the crops of each of your viewports and give the crops a name
  2. Create a unique worksheet or database header for each different query
  3. Query your criteria for Location is within Crop Name

I just tried this in a dummy file and it seemed to work on very simple objects, but I'm curious if it will work for you...

 

Otherwise, in order to quantify per sheet, we have resulted to one of four isolation methods.

  1. By Layer - We have often, on manageable sized project, created different designer layers for the information that corresponds with each sheet. For example, we often have TREES-SHEET 1, TREES-SHEET 2, etc.
  2. By Class - This is very cumbersome, but if the item being queried is minute, may be worth it. Same concept as layers, just separate classes for the different items. This can easily get out of control though if you have lots of information you wish to parse out.
  3. By Record - I have, again on occasion, used a custom record format with a field for sheet and attached it to all objects. From there you can query for objects with a record field = sheet number.
  4. By Location - Although you cannot use the viewport name in this, if you create separate shapes that correspond to your viewport crops and name them appropriately, you can query for Location is within Shape Name.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the help!  Trying this now but I sure hope someone at HQ is reading this and seeing how this could be a LOT easier.

Share this post


Link to post

This topic inspired me to try the following:

 

Previously I've tried to make room equipment schedules based on the GetSpaceNum function, which is a bit cumbersome method. I've had unreliable results for some reason, and therefore have not dared to use that for issued schedules.

 

However, I tried Erichjberg's method of naming an object, applied to the space object, and it seems to work perfectly! This is a much faster way to achieve room equipment schedules than the "GetSpaceNum" way.

 

One just needs to give the space an individual name, which can be same as the room number.

 

Now, the viewport method would also work, but then the room is not allowed to change any longer (location, dimensions etc.)

 

 

Attached is a screenshot.

 

Location vs. equipment list.JPG

Share this post


Link to post

Even easier would be if one could pick the space number directly in the "location" dropdown menu.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, JMR said:

One just needs to give the space an individual name, which can be same as the room number.

 

A professionally useful space object would of course name itself automatically, but unfortunately there are no people with actual experience in real projects involved in the development of VW and its components. 

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, Urbanist said:

A professionally useful space object would of course name itself automatically, but unfortunately there are no people with actual experience in real projects involved in the development of VW and its components. 

Forgot to mention that, AFAIK, the LOC criterion looks at all layers and needs another criterion  (eg layer) to work reliably. Say, a loose furniture schedule in a multi-storey building can get quite tricky, but I believe there is a solution: Hippocode's Symbol Object can obviously associate itself with the spaces containing it. Whether it allows reporting by space (instead of a query for each space which gets rather cumbersome with even 100 or so spaces), I don't know. Wouter will tell you! He has actually done real work and seems to know what is needed. 

http://www.hippocode.com/extensio

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 4:35 AM, ericjhberg said:
  1. Edit the crops of each of your viewports and give the crops a name
  2. Create a unique worksheet or database header for each different query
  3. Query your criteria for Location is within Crop Name
 


Thanks for this. Just been trying to figure out when I set the location as the viewport that it wouldn't return any of the objects inside. Once I named the crops and then set the location to the crop then they appear. Bit of a strange workaround and not sure why just setting the location as the viewport doesn't work?

Share this post


Link to post

Hello,

I know this post is quite old but could any of you tell me what is the formula to display the name of the location my object are within?

So basically just display the "crop name"?

 

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×
×
  • Create New...