creating conceptual graphic styles for diagrams

Pretty much every one of my projects starts with sketches and site analysis.

I draw them by hand to communicate quickly.

My team uses M-Color to create similar hand drawn graphics (see image) based upon AutoCAD vectors when these types of graphics need to be included in formal reports.

Is it possible to create similar graphic styles in Vectorworks quickly?

If so, how?

Ideally, I would place a few symbols to mark key features or site influences, draw a shapes to define areas, and draw some lines to define paths.  After all that was done, simply apply a graphic style to create the look I'm after.

SA graphics.jpg

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Probably the fastest method would be by using Line Types. They let you add linear or polygonal geometry into a Style that can be applied to lines or polygons:

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 10.39.08 AM.png

The end markers sometimes conflict with the types however (if the geometry added to the line type is larger than the end marker) and the easiest way to get around that is to add a little snipped of line with no style to control the marker, or imply make a symbol with the desired end marker so that it can be plunked down rapidly each time it's needed.

And for elements where you might want it to look 'hand-drawn', one approach is to switch from Wireframe to Sketch in the render dropdown. This could be done while working in a Design Layer, or if you have a Viewport on a Sheet Layer it can be set to that render style.

Note this will, by default, make all of the objects looked sketched. So if you want some objects to retain clean, straight lines, select them and go the the Render tab of the OIP, and switch them to "No Sketch."

The look of the Sketch Style can be edited as well:

59c91d0e23386_ScreenShot2017-09-25at11_11_57AM.png.f470de20cfe533ba66f30fd71732d194.png

• Like 1

As Jim already mentioned, custom linetypes are the way to go, you can use pretty much any kind of shape you like but sometimes it may take some tinkering to get it right. One important thing to pay attention to when creating a line type is what units you use, page based units or world based units.

For example, I have created linetypes to create railroads over a background image at exact width using world based units but it did require paying attention to the elements lengths to avoid breakups at arcs representing a bend.  Something similar may apply to your line types as well, even if you use page based units. The "problem" with page based units is that depending on scaling it may look a bit odd on the design layer.

• 2 weeks later...