Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links Read more... ×
Stephan Moenninghoff

Convert a planar NURBS Surface to Polyline

Is there some way to do this? Just like I would if I had extracted the NURBS surface with "Create Planar Objects" given as an option? Can't seem to do this with any of the stock nodes although it should, in theory, be possible..

Edited by Stephan Moenninghoff

The nearest I got was "Convert to Polygon" but that fails if the NURBS Surface is fully clipped. It seems to work OK with partially clipped NURBS surfaces. I guess that's worth a bug report...

Bildschirmfoto 2017-08-29 um 16.13.45.png

hello

Maybe it’s because of the bug inside the covert to poly node see

convert to polygon doesn't work in marionette object

25 minutes ago, the frog said:

hello

Maybe it’s because of the bug inside the covert to poly node see

convert to polygon doesn't work in marionette object

Hmm.. looks like a different issue but who knows.

BTW it looks like the forum is breaking the links when copying and pasting. Your hyperlink comes up dead.

Hey,

It's dirty but it works if you input enough accuracy... For some reason it says that it returns as many POLYs as the number of vertices, but in the group there is only one... Go figure

NURBS TO 2D POLY.vwx

7 minutes ago, jeandm said:

Hey,

It's dirty but it works if you input enough accuracy... For some reason it says that it returns as many POLYs as the number of vertices, but in the group there is only one... Go figure

NURBS TO 2D POLY.vwx

Hi @jeandm thanks for trying. What you are converting is a NUBS *curve*. In my example, I'm trying to convert a NURBS *surface* to polygon/polyline. I tried your node and it yields no result for a NURBS surface. I guess we'll have to wait for an official way to do this... 

3 minutes ago, jeandm said:

I see, I misinterpreted your intention! I'll do some more digging.

OK, good luck! I think what we need is the "Extract 3D" tool's function with planar set as an option but there seems to be no node doing that. I have no idea if this could be scripted by hand.

Edited by Stephan Moenninghoff
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Stephan Moenninghoff said:

OK, good luck! I think what we need is the "Extract 3D" tool's function with planar set as an option but there seems to be no node doing that. I have no idea if this could be scripted by hand.

I don't think there is a function available to us in python to do a surface extraction at this time, so I don't think we can pull this one off until it gets exposed to us. 

• Like 1

Having recently been delving into Marionette more, I too have discovered that a node for the "Extract 3D" would be extremely useful.  Although my confidence in editing existing nodes is growing, I am not yet at the point of creating new nodes from scratch. 

One of the tasks I am aiming to automate is the extraction of areas from 3D wireframe models and then labelling and scheduling these in a worksheet. 

The ideal work flow for the as yet un-created tool would be:

1. Extract all faces from selected (simple) 3D model. 
  2. Rotate all to be on same plane. (This step could be skipped if something like an ID label could be applied to the faces of the model)
  3. Apply a pre-determined label (from a symbol - as is possible in the Space Tool)
  4. Schedule the areas in a worksheet. 

I think I could just about manage steps 2 and 4, though no 1 is non-existent and although label creation nodes appear to exist, I'm not sure how to "fix" them to a 3D surface. 

Any thoughts or ideas welcome.

Thanks.