Using Vectorworks / Energos for Passivhaus Design

Guest BillV

Guest BillV

I am  interested to make contact with any Architects / Designers based in Europe who are using Vectorworks and the Energos Module in any form to design a Passivhaus project.

We are interested to see how you use Energos in relation to the Passivhaus PHP.

Please make contact via the community board so that we can start a dialogue on this.

Guest BillV

Thanks Christian. I am working with a team doing some 40 Passivhaus projects. The issue is that there is very  little information available  to explain how Energos measures your input, which is essential to get your results correct. The overall result is interesting, but not really valid as direct input to the Passivhaus PHP which you need to complete to obtain certification. Many of the categories that you fill in to make Energos work must be entered directly in much more detail in the PHP.  So the conclusion I have reached is that Energos to Passivhaus has potential for concept design to ensure you are on the right lines,  but it is in no way going to facilitate certification. Vectorworks does not really allow you also to easily set lambda values for wall components. If you have a framing component in a wall this will have say, polystyrene or wool insulation ie 2 components,  but you have to enter a lambda value for the 2 together. Passivhaus as a concept is fantastic but I feel Energos is simply a guideline at present. I understand Passivhaus is becoming quite big in the UK and Ireland  and know of a number of schools built to Passivhaus standard. There are currently 7 certified houses in Australia and 11 in NZ.

• 1 year later...
On 4/11/2017 at 11:52 AM, BillV said:

The issue is that there is very  little information available  to explain how Energos measures your input, which is essential to get your results correct.

That is my problem too.

E.g. how to deal with our typical dual usage of Slab Packages.

(1 for Structure Slab + 1 Slab for Finish Floor Packages,

maybe even a third one for insulation against ground)

Will these add up in heat flow resistance - or even add more

incorrect surface area that will make calculation results worse.

So we should fake the values of 1 Package and take off the

other packages from Energos ?

And similar things ....

• Like 1