Wall Join Tool Actually Wall Break Tool?

I have two walls that cross each other, I want to join them so have used the wall join tool with the X Join option enabled.

The operation breaks one wall into two rather than doing an X join.

Any ideas what would cause this, or is this how it is meant to work?

I don't know what is going on in your drawing. In a simple test drawing here it works just as you would expect it. I get one of the walls split in two and joined on both sides of the other wall.

What do you get in a new clean file with newly drawn walls? What happens when you copy and paste the problem walls into a new clean file? What are the settings for Caps on the two walls?

Have you restarted VW? Have you restarted your computer?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The tool (in X Join mode) will break one of the walls (by design) but should create a clean join. My guess is that you're using walls with one component and the document preference "Auto Join Walls" is turned off? If so, try turning the preference on before joining them.

I believe what's happening in your case is that the walls are being joined but the components are not. If so, you can also clean up the join using the Component Join tool.

Edited by Matt Panzer
typo