Controlling texture appearance in OpenGL independently of RW appearance

Is it impossible to control a texture appearance in OpenGL independently of its appearance in a Renderworks rendering?

As far as I understand, the surface appearance of an object in OpenGL is determined by whatever is chosen under the "colour" shader in the texture settings.

So, if a solid colour is chosen, then it's that colour in OpenGL.

If an image is chosen, then that image is tiled onto it in OpenGL.

It seems that this means I can't adjust how something looks in OpenGL without also changing its appearance in RW. For example, say I set up the texture with a solid colour shader, but then use image files in the bump/reflectivity shaders to give it a repeated-pattern appearance in RW: I can't also set it up with a repeated-pattern appearance in OpenGL because OpenGL pulls its appearance from the colour shader, which is set as a solid colour.

Is that correct?

Ah ?

Not sure if I got that correctly.

You can set both OpenGL and RW to use or not use textures and colors (=>white)

So if you deactivate Textures you will get standard object or class fill colors.

If you deactivate Colors, you will get a white gypsum rendering.

But if you keep activated Textures you will still get Transparency for glass or

Bump, Reflections (in RW only)

I don't think that is possible.

There is only one Material System for OpenGL and RW.

I think it is fine that OpenGL can use the RW Materials at all and displays "some"

of its features like transparency and image textures.

If it is related to some parts only, duplicated objects controlled by classes for

one of each render mode with different materials may be a valid workaround.

Yes, sounds like what I want to do would require duplicated objects turned on/off according to render type.

I guess OpenGL is mainly intended as a mode for fast editing/viewing in 3D (for which it works very well).

A shame there isn't just a little bit more control to make it more useful as a mode for initial presentation images (and live walkarounds) without duplicating work.

Edited by col37400
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Correct, there would need to be duplicate objects OR overridden class texture attributes in separate viewports.

OpenGL was originally intended as a quick check-your-work viewing mode, but it's had enough enhancements over the past few years that users are starting to adopt it for presentation work. Especially once it got Ambient Occlusion and Edges that in some cases look superior to Hidden Line. It's so fast that it's hard to give up and I think we will move to support it doing even more.

Correct, there would need to be duplicate objects OR overridden class texture attributes in separate viewports.

OpenGL was originally intended as a quick check-your-work viewing mode, but it's had enough enhancements over the past few years that users are starting to adopt it for presentation work. Especially once it got Ambient Occlusion and Edges that in some cases look superior to Hidden Line. It's so fast that it's hard to give up and I think we will move to support it doing even more.

That would be good.

I now use it as my primary editing mode whilst working in 3D.

(that Sketchup was built around this way of working is one of the reasons it was so successful, I think)