Design Layer Viewports and Class Visibilities

I have a Design layer (layer 1) with 3 objects each has a different class, for the example I'll just call them class 1, 2 and 3.

On another design layer I have a viewport. The viewport is classed as none. the viewport has layer 1 turned on and also class 1 and 2.

If I have the navigation classes set to only show "none", if I view the viewport nothing shows. If I then turn on class 1 and 2, then the viewport shows correctly.

This is against my understanding of the viewports is my understanding is that the class none should determine wether the viewport shows up or not as thats the class I have associated to the viewport. It should then be the class settings in the viewport that should determine whether or not it shows correctly.

I have also ensure that the "use current document's class visibilites" box is unticked.

The sheet layer viewport operate as I would expect them too.

Can some one please advice me if this is a glitch or if it is how the design layer viewports are intended to work.

Edited by Josh NZ

Hi,

if your using design layer viewports its a bit tricky but once you sort it out it works well.

You should see image as when you select the viewport.

See this for how to control.

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2016/eng/index.htm#t=VW2016_Guide%2FViewports%2FChanging_the_Layer_Properties_of_Sheet_Layer_or_Design_Layer.htm&rhsearch=design%20layer%20viewports&rhhlterm=design%20layer%20viewports&rhsyns=%20

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Thank Alan

Ive used them right through the drawing with class overrides to show roofing as dashed etc with no fill. However these VPs are only showing up if the document classes for the roof items are turned on also.

If i have the VP on class none, then in the VP class settings show the roof classes, also unticked the use doc visibilities, then the VP should show if I only have "none" turned.

If you are doing Design Layer Viewports you have a VP in your design layer and not on your sheet layer.

This design layer viewport references to another design layer or sheet layer another drawing totally different.

Each viewport has the OIP on right showing.

Is this how you are working?

Alan

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Yeah that is how I am operating, will be using sheet layers later but at the moment just need to get this one item to show correctly in DL VP. Hopefully in the previous attachment it should should the issue. When you open you will find a DL with a couple of screenshots, no VP. If you turn on the other 3 classes the VP will appear, you will notice the VP is on class none, the class setting for that VP will show the box unticked to show doc visibilities.

It's a bug.

You are using the DLVPs correctly and your expectation of how they should work is correct.

It seems that you once created a Crop Object in the Roof Services Class, and now that the VP doesn't have a Crop Object it remembers fondly that it once had and that it was classed Roof Services.

So unless the Roof Services class is Visible or Greyed in your drawing the phantom Crop object will be doubly invisible ergo the Viewport will disappear.

The interim solution - Create a new Crop Object in the None Class.

Hi BCD, I just tried another approach, I removed that class and that fixed that one instance of the VP. However when I view other VPs they still have the issue. Is the problem definitely linked to the class of a crop object? The only reason I ask is that I almost never draw in anything other than "none", it seems odd that there would be numerous crop objects at some stage with different classes. Could it someone how be linked to the visibilities of a class within the VP instead of a crop?

Seems to be an issue.

To solve it highlight the viewport and untick screen objects then tick again.

Now you should be able to turn off the class and the viewport will stay.

Interesting but frustrating

Alan

Edited by Alan Woodwell
  • 2 months later...