PDF File Size in 2016?

My staff and I have recently noticed that when we convert drawings to pdf for printing in VW 2016, file size is huge, but if we back save to VW 2015 and then convert it is much smaller.

A recent 11 x 17 drawing was 17MB in 16, and 1.5MB in 2015, for example. My printer couldn't handle the file size, and even down at the printer, this seemingly simple drawing took 20 minutes to load on their bigger computers.

We haven't knowingly changed our work flow. Has anyone else noticed this and have knowledge of why, and/or slightly easier work arounds?

Thanks in advance.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

To clarify, when you say "convert" to PDF do you mean Export PDF or Print as PDF?

By default, 2016 exports "Subset Fonts" (found in the File > Export > Export PDF dialog) which CAN increase filesize depending on what types and how many fonts are used in the document, but generally you'd only see a very large difference if there were dozens of different fonts.

The default DPI is also 300 which is quite high in some cases, if you had set 2015 lower that would also dramatically affect file size.

(There will always be some difference as 2016 corrected a number of export issues with PDFs that you don't always see, but become apparent when importing the PDF into another CAD software or printer on certain types of plotters. However the difference you're seeing is significant.)

Jim,

Sorry, should have clarified, but I always export to pdf and place in my project file, then print from that file, either at the office or Kinko's, etc. I haven't used Print as pdf as a direct print from VW to my HP T120 or 8610 printers.

It may be a font issue. I recently decided to get a bit funky with a new font to update the look of my drawings, but there are probably many styles imported from 2015 I hadn't changed.

I am aware of the dpi setting and usually change it to 150 or 200, and have seen the difference. Maybe we forgot to do that. Will check. Thanks.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

To add a bit more info, there will be features coming that give you more direct control over this. Currently we export EVERYTHING, even vector information that isn't strictly needed. So the PDF is extremely accurate but also unnecessarily large in many scenarios.

• 2 years later...
On 4/7/2016 at 5:35 PM, Jim Wilson said:

To add a bit more info, there will be features coming that give you more direct control over this. Currently we export EVERYTHING, even vector information that isn't strictly needed. So the PDF is extremely accurate but also unnecessarily large in many scenarios.

Any updates on this.... PDF file sizes still very large in 2018.

• Like 1