leader arrowheads

I am using VW 8.5 and plot drawings at halfscale and blow up to full scale at a copycenter. The problem is the arrowheads on the leaders get really huge. Is there an easy way to edit them to halfsize so when I enlarge they are regular size. thanks.

When changing the drawing to 1/2 scale for printing purposes, are you doing ith with layer scale, scale objects command, the page setup menu or the print menu?

Don,

If you want to change all arrow sizes at once, first go to Organize - Custom Selection. In the Custom Selection Dialog Box first pick Select Only then click Criteria. In the Criteria Dialog Box chose "Arrow Style" - "Is" and the style you are using. Click OK. This should select all the arrows of that style.

Now go to the Attribute Palette. Click the button in the lower right coner and scroll down to edit. Set Arrow Attributes Dialog Box appears. You can edit the size by changing the length.

Mel Barker

Highland Drafting, Inc.

http://highlanddrafting.com

Hi Don,

There may be an easier way to get where you want to go. If you do all your drafting at actual size (ie: the size of the final full size prints) your arrowheads (and everything else) will be correct . To do your reduction, use the "scale" dialog in "page setup". Just type in 50% and be sure to change the page size.

Hope this helps!

Peter

defjef

I haven't used 8.5.2 in a long time, but I remember that we used to use the "SCALE" box... The only thing I can imagine is that perhaps your OS & PrintDriver are different than mine were. In any event I'm sorry you can't find this feature as it is a really easy way generate reduced-size prints.

Peter

Jeff,

What printer are you using?

Some printers like Epson haev different stuff in the print dialog box, but in Page Setup, it should be relatively the same.

Are you using Adobe or LaserWriter 8 ?

At home I work on a PC usually with an HP 1120 and and HP 930 Windows ME. I cannot find a SAALE drawing box in page set up. But let me ask.. If I scale and entire drawing do the arrowheads and other drawing marks scale down? As I recall some "objects" do scale down.. but I ecalll arrowheads do not rescale. Does the elusive SCALE drawing option in the page set up reduce everything on the drawing to a new scale? Do drawing title objects indicate the "new" scale" or the original scale??

defjef:

The scale option is a feature of the printer driver. Different companies do it differently and it is independant of v-works or any other app. Maybe it's under "size"?

It allows scaling by percentage, much like a copy machine. Anything that is sent to the printer will be printed at that setting. Pictures,text,arrowheads from v-works....anything.

You will have to reset to 100% when you want "normal" printing.

I believe that the "scale" feature of the "file -> page setup" utility was first introduced with VW v.9. It sometimes didn't work perfectly, but with v. 10 it works for me very consistently. If you are using v. 8, I think you are at the mercy of the printer driver's capabilities. Scaling with v. 10 does exactly what you would expect: it works like scaling a bitmap, scaling every element of the drawing, including lineweight.

Once again on this SCALE thing. Say I am working a layer with 1/4" scale and use a leader line. It is configured to the default size.. usually given as some dimension in inchines or whatever. I actually dont know what that means.. Does it mean that the arrow head at the 1/4" scale will measure.. for example 1/8"? OK Now I change the scale of that layer to 1/8"... Ooops the arrowheads are now very large in proportion to the rest of the drawing..they may actually be the same 1/8" but the rest of the drawing having been scaled down... the arrowheards are HUGE. The same thing happens for some symbols like drawing Name /Scale tags. WHat I typically do is work at the sscale a drawing will MOST often be plotted as and suffer thw weirdness of huge arrowheads Is there any way around THIS weirdness in 8.52? I am sorry for being stuck in 8.52... but I am waiting for a clean release which wont cause havoc in prductivity.

I checked the PAGE SET up for our Network Richoh copier/printer at the office. We use it for all letter and tabloid formats. No scaling feature on the Page Setup in vw8.52 over there either. So tell me a small format printer which DOES support that PAGE SET UP feature.

the feature you are looking for is not really apart of Vectorworks so to speak.

it's part of the operating systems printer handling.

So the Page scaling in the "page Setup" is in almost all Mac's because it's something the system provides to print driver and in turn to VW.

i understood that it is also in a lot of windows printer drivers, have the scale feature.

from memory the cannon printers do.

not sure if it's universal system feature.

regards matt

iboy has said what I was trying to say before and with an added point....maybe it's a mac thing.

I run v-works 8.5.2

I have printed to an apple laser,a brother laser and an HP laser all 8 1/2" X....the option is always there and not only in v-works but any and all other programs (netscape,explorer,p-shop,illustrator,quark,simpletext,bbedit,fastrack schedule,acrobat....to name some). Each of these printers uses a different driver which has been written by the printer manufacturer.

On this machine the window that comes up from page-setup always looks exactly the same for a given printer(driver) in any app.

I think it's safe to say it is not a v-works thing.