Use at creation override

Art V

Question

Normally I set classes to "use at creation" but from time to time I need to change the attributes of only a few objects to e.g. a different fill colour while the object has to remain in that class. (i.e. when creating a different class for those objects is not feasible)

It would be nice if there is an option in the attributes palette to override the "use at creation" for those occasions when I know in advance that I need to have an attribute to be different from the class settings when I have to create multiple objects with that different setting.

That would be easier than changing attributes afterwards or having to turn the "use at creation" off and then on again whenever this is necessary.

5 answers to this question

I know about the VP Class Overrides, but they affect all objects in that class that use the class settings whereas I only want to change an attribute of only a few objects in a class.

Sometimes that changes happens afterwards, sometimes I already know at time of creation that these objects need to have an attribute (e.g. fill colour) to be different of the class attribute settings.

In the latter case it would be nice to be able to override the class attribute temporarily with e.g. a tick box or selectable option in the attributes palette so that the attribute palette settings will override the "use at creation" settings of that class.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Would it be that you had a somewhat large set of objects that were going to be inserted without wanting class attributes, or is it more commonly a here-and-there situation where perhaps a modifier key that temporarily suspended the taking on of class attributes for a newly added object would make more sense than a checkbox?

Would it be that you had a somewhat large set of objects that were going to be inserted without wanting class attributes, or is it more commonly a here-and-there situation where perhaps a modifier key that temporarily suspended the taking on of class attributes for a newly added object would make more sense than a checkbox?

It is more commonly a here-and-there situation with one or only a few objects to be added where a modifier key could work.

My default is to have all objects have their properties by class. The issue is that sometimes there are objects that need to be put in a specific class for whatever reason but still have to look a bit different (e.g. different fill colour).

That being said, the objects do still need to take all class attributes except that one attribute that has to be different, e.g. fill colour or linetype.

How I would like it to work is as follows...

- attribute palette is set to "refer to class" for the attributes so that they all get set according to the class when creating an object

- select the class in which I want the object(s) added

- change an attribute, e.g. fill colour

- use the modifier key/option (menu in attribute palette, tick box or something else) to activate the override for "use at creation"

- draw the object that then uses the settings of the attribute palette

- use the modifier key/option again to disable the override so that the "use at creation" is applied to new objects