Drawing wall panels in a home theater room

Hi all,

I'm trying to draw made up panels on walls in a home theater that has steps. I'm not sure best way to do it. Is there a tutorial or anyone have a suggestion as to ideas. Am I looking at doing lots of extrudes etc.

I usually design kitchens and furniture, but this is new to me.

Thanks for any help etc.

John

Hi,

Many ways to do this one option is to simply draw the wall as an extruded rectangle then using the push pull tool draw your wall steps (projections or recesses) on the face of the wall then simply pull the highlighted rectangles out or push them in.

Also creating wall recesses under the AEC tool.(file:///C:/Program%20Files/Vectorworks2015/VWHelp/HTML5/VW2015_Guide/Walls/Creating_Wall_Recesses.htm?rhsearch=wall%20recesses&rhsyns=%20)

Draw a rectangle and extrude ,to a desired height, then the next one to different height and so on is another way.

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Or model the steps as 3d objects, then wall tool and Fit to Geometry? I think for this to work, the entire bottom of wall needs to start (before the Fit command) above the highest step. In other words, I think the Fit to Geometry command cannot make the bottom of wall (or top of wall) conform upward AND downward in one execution. Anyway, that was my experience in one example.

-B

Hi Alan & Benson, Thanks for your thoughtful replies. I should have mentioned that I was able to draw the room with the steps and walls etc. No issue with that but my concern was if there was an easy way to draw the baseboard, rail and stile panels, top trim and cap/ I know how to do the crown with extrude along path but if my baseboard is following steps, I was not sure how to draw the line to develop the extrude etc.

Thanks again,

John

Hi,

You can still extrude along path see attached.

Look at the elevation of your wall and draw a polyline along your stepped wall.

Extrude along path,if the baseboard ends up flat edit profile and rotate the profile. while in edit profile mode select all and zoom object and hit 1 on keypad to see in isometric, easier to see what's going on.

You can also use extract surface to create your rails etc.

If you are just after steps in wall you can create a wall style with the steps in. See attached.

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell