Curved edge extrusion...

I've been asked to do an interpretation of this table and am struggling creating a 3D model to present. I've been setting up in 2D and placing intersecting circles and arcs to create the overall plan view but, when I try and compose the group for extruding, it doesn't work. As if this trimming technique is not the correct way to move forward on this. I hope I explained that well enough. I'd be more then interested to hear and see how others, with better skills, would go about creating these curved edge extrusions. Something tells me it's a pretty simple task but...........help?

Hi, the simplest way to draw this is use the polyline tool and extrude it.

See images

Also if you use an image to trace over you can push and pull the vertex's to get the best shape, this is rough and took a few minutes.

The more you know about the program the more options you have when trying to make something.

There is still heaps to learn.

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

To combine multiple circles like that you would actually use Modify > Add Surface, not Compose. Compose is for combining lines or polylines that have connected ends. Add Surface lets you combine polygons, rectangles, circles etc into single custom shaped surfaces.

Turns out, Jim's advice of "Add Surface" worked better for me..a series of circles and arcs created this. I had to first compose the smaller arcs into solid triangle like forms, then add those to the circle areas. The one detail I wanted to do but had more difficulty with is that I wanted the top slab edges to have vertical grain, not horizontal. I used Map Type: Auto Align Plane because I wasn't able to achieve the vertical grain edge with the other settings.Can someone suggest how I can make the edge grain vertical without shifting the grain direction on the tops? Thanks Forum..always appreciated.

B, would you have any sense of why the edge is appearing this way, rather then like the vertical grain at the base below? I moved forward with Modify/Convert to Group, then adjusted grain direction of each grouping. It seems the vertical edge grain lost it's definition. Wondering where I went wrong. Thanks.

Not sure. If I understand your question, the sides (edges) of the smaller shapes to look more like the base. Some things to try:

1. The texture is probably a largish image and the short faces only show part of it (a portion where knots are visible and grain is close together), while the taller base object shows more of the texture. Try moving the texture to show a different part of it. This can be done with the Attributes Mapping tool, or with texture offsets and scaling in the render tab of the selected object (one of the sides/edges).

2. The Texture Mapping Type is different on the base than on the other sides. Select the base and look at the render settings in the render tab of the OIP - Mapping should be either Plane or Perimeter, not Cylinder or Sphere. Then select one of the other sides and switch mapping type if nec.

3. There is probably some really simple thing neither of us thought of. The Texture Geniuses on this forum will see it and tell us! (fingers crossed).

Good luck!

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw

Hi,

To keep your object as one you can change the way the texture appears on each face as long as you don't fillet edges etc as these take away the ability to set the component faces to different textures.

In the OIP- Render you have the option to place one texture on overall, 1 for top and 1 for sides.

In the attached base the grain look like it continues down from above.

This was one for top and rotated and other for side and rotated.

Many way to do this and pulling the object apart is certainly an option.

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell

I've got the edges as I want them to appear now but I'm having difficulty controlling edges and surfaces as separate items. When I rotate to create the vertical grain in the edge, the surface becomes askew. If I ungroup the extrusion, the edge becomes like the original problem, fuzzy and lacking detail. Alan, you mentioned being able to control the 2 surfaces separately (edge and top surface). How exactly do you do that?? Almost there. Thanks all.....more then appreciate the help.