I am checking our whether to upgrade from Vectorworks Architect with Renderworks 2010 to 2015.

I have downloaded the trial version but it only seems to be the 32 bit version. Is there a 64 bit version to try out?

Also I note that it is the most expensive top of the range Designer with Renderworks and not Architect with Renderworks. So am I getting a true trial or when I purchase Architect I find that some of the facilities / tools are not there?

The trail is not going too well. My pc does not seem to save the files. It crashes quite frequently when I try to print or render. It is not liking my 2010 files. Admittedly they are big files with 3D people etc but I would hope 2015 would have no problem.

The renderings with shadow in HL and RW are impressive on the 2015. But maybe I would get the same effect changing the settings on 2010?

My pc is 32 bit and if 2015 32 bit keeps crashing then I foresee greater problems with the 64 bit. Having said that I intend ti use it more on a 64 bit pc. In the long term I will replace my 32 bit with a 64 bit pc but I would like to know if 2015 would work on a 32 bit pc in the short term?

Sorry it has become a long post....I did not intend it to be - any feed back appreciated.

I had few problems going from v12.5 (much older than v2010) to v2014 and then to v2015, but I upgraded my iMac first.

My guess is your computer is struggling, so I recommend you replace your computer first, you'll have native 64 bit, and get the maximum ram, and with a Windows machine get the best video card you can, then try v2015.

Edited by D Wood

I will try it on my more powerful 64 bit pc.

However two questions remain:

Is the trial version only 32 bit and hence when I purchase the 62 bit version I will only then see if it works and how well it works?

Also I note that it is the most expensive top of the range Designer with Renderworks and not Architect with Renderworks. So am I getting a true trial or when I purchase Architect I find that some of the facilities / tools are not there? I am concerned that it contains spotlight and that is what is giving me great light renderings and spotlight will not be in architect.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

When you run the installer, it determines if you have a 32 or 64bit OS and installs the appropriate trial.

You can get the most accurate sense of what will be in Architect with Renderworks by going to Tools > Workspaces and choosing Architect instead of Designer.

I would expect a lot more crashing on 32bit than 64bit, especially if its on a retired OS like XP.