Referencing details to a Detail Sheet

Can anyone recommend a work flow process for this? The following explains what I am trying right now, but if you have a better suggestion, please let me know.

At the moment I am trying to follow a similar process that I used at AECOM using autocad:

- each detail is drawn in its own file.

- each detail is then referenced into a sheet file in model space (so multiple files referenced in)

- there was an easy command to click on that referenced file and open the original for editing

- Detail titles are done in the sheet file model space

- the sheet file paper space holds the title block info and is what gets printed.

Trying to replicate this in VW:

- each detail is drawn in its own file. (using layers, not classes, because that's what my boss uses, possibly this is complicating matters)

- I have a "sheet file" set up ready to reference each detail file into.

- I have title block info set up on a sheet layer for this sheet file

- now, how do I reference in the detail files?

I tried:

!. referencing in the detail files using “Layer Import”, but:

- it brings in everything, not just the area I want.

- all the detail files have the same layers, since they are all from a template, and VW won’t import multiple layers with the same name.

2. referencing in viewports from the detail files, with the “design layer viewports” setting in the referencing dialogue box, and then creating a viewport with the detail file as a source. But

- it brings in everything, not just the area I want.

- I can’t change the crop to narrow down to the area I want.

Is there a way to just reference in a viewport from the original detail file?

thanks!

Hi Megan,

I like the process - you just need to reorganize it somewhat and it will work as required and better. I wouldn't have considered Viewports a good choice but maybe I should reconsider that.

Here's what I would suggest -

Instead of thinking of the details as separate drawings think of them as drawings within a drawing. Use Symbols.

So - for every detail create a symbol. (it can be 2d, 3d or hybrid)

The symbols will live in the Resource Browser of your Details file.

You can have multiple Details files for various categories each with the relevant Symbols.

Each Details file can have the symbols organized into appropriate folders for easy retrieval.

You can create Design layers in the Details file where an instance of one or more details is arranged for information - but the symbol itself lives in the Resource Browser.

To use the Details Symbols:

Open the Details file and import/reference the symbol from a Design Layer into the current file. - or

In the Resource Browser of the current file make your Details file/s a Favourite and it will always be there for you to select and import/reference the Details symbol.

There are many advantages to this methodology.

Finally you will need to create a Sheet Layer for the Details in your Template File.

bcd's

Technique more or less nails it.

I might add one additional piece of information:

A Symbol may be customized and then re-saved as a new Symbol.

To convert as Symbol to a Group choose the Symbol and keyboard shortcut is COMMAND K (Modify/Convert/Convert to Group) and as a Group objects may be edited. The Group may be saved as a new Symbol once edited.

• 2 weeks later...